• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Definitely looks like LAF is in the zone for this one ... FINALLY! :snowman: But looking at the NAM and GFS both show ICE ..25" to .50" across the donut counties here..:thumbsdown:

Can't say I'm confident in anything right now. Small shifts either way can really throw off the whole shebang. My inclination is to always skew to the warm side of things, as it seems the majority of the time the models are too cold. If I had to make a call, which I really don't what to do or am comfortable doing so, I'd go 1-4" for LAF with some sleet/rain holding down totals. Basically shift everything north by 50 or so miles in central Indiana. Not being negative trust me, just trying to use past experience with these things. Needless to say, it'll be interesting to watch it unfold.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh...

So when it all balances out it should end up about the same.

Probably, but I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting nowcasting storm. I'm not seeing what is causing this storm to have such a flat track, except that the H5 wave is not particularly impressive. The northern stream confluence zone plays a part, but not large enough of one to force the sfc center to hug the Ohio river like that while it's in the process of deepening.

Probably, but I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting nowcasting storm. I'm not seeing what is causing this storm to have such a flat track, except that the H5 wave is not particularly impressive. The northern stream confluence zone plays a part, but not large enough of one to force the sfc center to hug the Ohio river like while it's in the process of deepening.

Like every other storm this season.. drunk.gif

ANd I agree with your statement.

I'd love to be sitting in northern MO to PIA to IKK to TOL line right now. Not that I don't think it won't be interesting here, but I think those areas are pretty solid in the "bullseye" for 4-8", with a few lollis higher if things break right though it's a relatively quick hitter so that will keep totals in check. For the two major climo sites in the path of this, thinking ORD 2-5", DTW 3-6". No change with my thinking for LAF. I'll error on the warm side and ride 1-4" with mix cutting down snow totals.

The 5 NAM members in the SREFS are further NW than the OP NAM but they've been sucking lately so I'm not sure how much weight you can give them.

I won't be shocked if things end up NW of the 12z OP, but given how much support it has, I think it's a pretty reasonable run, especially with the RUC coming back to earth each run.

I'd love to be sitting in northern MO to PIA to IKK to TOL line right now. Not that I don't think it won't be interesting here, but I think those areas are pretty solid in the "bullseye" for 4-8", with a few lollis higher if things break right though it's a relatively quick hitter so that will keep totals in check. For the two major climo sites in the path of this, thinking ORD 2-5", DTW 3-6". No change with my thinking for LAF. I'll error on the warm side and ride 1-4" with mix cutting down snow totals.

great call aside from your pessimistic bias towards LAF inside 48 hrs. I'm liking the same bullseye but would knock down amounts north and bump them up down around you.

great call aside from your pessimistic bias towards LAF inside 48 hrs. I'm liking the same bullseye but would knock down amounts north and bump them up down around you.

Hey I'm trying to use sound judgment and not let pessimism rule my call. :arrowhead: Alas, models tend to bust cold 9/10 times in these scenarios...and when you're literally riding the line on pretty much all of the guidance as LAF is, well you know. Maybe I'll be completely wrong, we'll see. Just my uneducated call for MBY. :)

DVN AFD

.SHORT TERM...TODAY AND TONIGHT...

THIS FORECAST IS ONE BIG REASON WE HAVE BEEN PLACING THE LINE IN THE

HWO PRODUCT THAT THIS STORMS TRACK WAS UNCERTAIN OVER THE PAST FEW

DAYS...AS NOW THAT IT IS IN THE SHORT TERM...ALL GUIDANCE HAS

SHIFTED NORTHWARD...WITH THE STORM TAKING A TRACK MUCH CLOSER TO THE

MORE NATURAL BAROCLINIC AXIS. THE MID LEVEL LOW PRESSURE TRACK

SHOULD MOVE MOVE FROM KANSAS CITY TO BURLINGTON...TO CHICAGO THIS

EVENING. THIS WOULD PLACE SIGNIFICANT SNOW OVER THE SOUTHERN 2/3RDS

OF THE CWA...AND HEAVY SNOW IN THE SOUTHERN CWA. THE STRONG

FRONTOGENESIS ALOFT MAY ALLOW FOR HEAVY AMOUNTS UP THROUGH

INTERSTATE 80 OR SO...AND THIS IS TROUBLESOME AS TO WHERE TO CONVERT

FROM WARNING TO ADVISORY ON THIS EVENT. THE MID AFTERNOON START TIME

OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IN THE SOUTH IS EARLY ENOUGH THAT A WATCH

SEEMS INAPPROPRIATE. AS A RESULT...WE WILL NEED A WARNING IN THE

SOUTHERN COUNTIES...AND A BROAD ADVISORY UP THROUGH AN IOWA CITY TO

CLINTON TO MT CARROLL LINE. SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE ENTIRE CWA

TONIGHT...WITH MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW CENTRAL AND SOUTH. WINDS WILL

INCREASE TO 15 TO 20 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 25 OR SO...ALLOWING FOR

SIGNIFICANT DRIFTING...BUT LIKELY NOT FULL BLOWING SNOW. SNOW

AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES SHOULD FALL AROUND HIGHWAY 20...TO 3 TO 5

INCHES DOWN ALONG INTERSTATE 80...WITH HIGHWAY 34 AREAS AND SOUTH

GETTING 5 TO 7. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS IN BANDS WILL ABSOLUTELY BE

POSSIBLE GIVEN THE FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. SHOULD ANY OF THESE SET UP

OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN CWA...A BAND OF WARNING CRITERIA

AMOUNTS IS POSSIBLE. UNDER CLOUDS AND NORTHERLY FLOW TODAY...TEMPS

WILL HOLD IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S FOR HIGHS...AND DROP TO THE MID TO

UPPER 20S TONIGHT IN THE SNOW.

WE WILL WATCH TRENDS VERY CLOSELY THIS MORNING FOR ADDITIONAL

HEADLINE ADJUSTMENTS.

..ERVIN..

RUC would be bad for anyone south of Toledo in Ohio (mostly ice/rain then dry slotting).

However, it's southward adjustments are good for you.

13z RUC is even further south. Basically moves the sfc low due east across northern AR before finally turning it to the north around the MO bootheel. Not out beyond 16 hours but it looks like it'd be only a touch north of the NAM.

Hey I'm trying to use sound judgment and not let pessimism rule my call. :arrowhead: Alas, models tend to bust cold 9/10 times in these scenarios...and when you're literally riding the line on pretty much all of the guidance as LAF is, well you know. Maybe I'll be completely wrong, we'll see. Just my uneducated call for MBY. :)

I would agree here normally but with the last three storms the models have not handled the cold air well at all and have been to warm until within 12 hrs of start time.

After seeing the last two storms trend south, if this goes north I'll have to :lmao:. NAM looks good for 10" in Cleveland. For realistic storm totals I generally like to reduce by 30% and assume 10:1 ratio, therefore 7" looks like a realistic call.

Archived