Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, 2/5 was great. I didn't spend days following it. No agonizing over a forecast. It was a do nothing Saturday. BOOM! 6 inches!

Those are the best kinds of snowstorms.

Sickest part is that 4 days ago we both agreed we were ready for spring. Yet somehow the allure of these storms is irresistible, and they keep luring us back in. :lol: But I can't complain too much. Only those wacky 18z runs on Wednesday really bullseyed me. Plus I didn't lose a wink of sleep/got work done. So not much was lost.

It's an addiction. I'm ready to turn the page again, but will jump right back into it if/when the next signal of possible snow is apparent. A sucker for punishment. :lol:

I'm the same as you and lost no sleep over following this one. I went to bed last night at 11PM and wasn't exactly encouraged about getting the big totals based off what was transpiring, so maybe that's a good sign that I'm finally at peace with living and dying by winter storms this season.

As for why we whiffed here, probably a combo of dry air, the first slug of moisture missing us entirely thus relying completely on the upper low, and the storm taking a further south track and seemingly taking a little longer to intensify (too far east for LAF). I look back to the TV met here who had lower totals for here, and he'll be right for the wrong reason. His idea that a farther north track would push the heavy snow north/northwest and rain/mix cutting into totals was wrong...alas he'll be able to claim victory I guess. It'll be interesting to see on his blog if he explains what happened or will he say that his original ideas panned out, which were in fact incorrect. Not that it should matter to me, but I'm curious.

Snow is drifty here, but the best measurement I could come up with was around 3". Safe to say you can call it a bust for LAF, but it is what it is. Of the 0z runs last night, the GFS embarrassed the 0z NAM for MBY. Unfortunately that will still leave us shy of 50" for the season, but we did move to 6th place on the snowiest season list. Also this winter will be only the second time we've had at least 10" of snow in all of Dec, Jan, and Feb...so all is not lost.

some impressive numbers regardless.

My 1-4" worked out for here, but for the wrong reason. Instead of rain or mix cutting down totals, which we had no rain or mix, it just didn't snow enough. :lol::arrowhead:

Kind of disappointing, but yet I'm really not upset at all. At least we had some measurable snow to close out February. For here, hopefully we can find 1.8" somewhere in March to get to 50" for the season. Otherwise, I'm ready to move on. :)

Wow that sucks!!UGH :thumbsdown: Looked like it was getting it's act together at last check but i guess i was wrong. :arrowhead:

Very sorry to hear that. What a strange storm either way.

Got very lucky here and ended up with 3" here thanks mainly to that nice band ( 35dbz returns for a bit here ) that was around here between 2-4am or so.

Model comments--post here. I would like help from my central/western friends in getting this "idea" going. Harry, Canuck, other mets, or anyone else--feel free to offer comments/discussion/analysis on why you believe numerical guidance failed or performed well for this storm. http://www.americanw...and-discussion/

Snow is drifty here, but the best measurement I could come up with was around 3". Safe to say you can call it a bust for LAF, but it is what it is. Of the 0z runs last night, the GFS embarrassed the 0z NAM for MBY. Unfortunately that will still leave us shy of 50" for the season, but we did move to 6th place on the snowiest season list. Also this winter will be only the second time we've had at least 10" of snow in all of Dec, Jan, and Feb...so all is not lost.

This was becoming apparent late yesterday evening...I even posted how I didn't trust the 00z NAM. Although amounts were lower overall, it looks like that heaviest band did set up north/east of IND through Muncie. I guess we'll have to scratch and claw our way to 50"...

Model comments--post here. I would like help from my central/western friends in getting this "idea" going. Harry, Canuck, other mets, or anyone else--feel free to offer comments/discussion/analysis on why you believe numerical guidance failed or performed well for this storm. http://www.americanw...and-discussion/

Nice idea.

maybe about 3 cm

i think ottawa got about 1cm

cant believe you only got that little, i figured youd get about 5cm or so........terrible.

It was really close. There was a decent f-gen band that cut across Hamilton into Lk Ontario but it never made it here. It'll be fun seeing how tomorrow's WAA snows screw me. I'm sure it'll be something novel.

It was really close. There was a decent f-gen band that cut across Hamilton into Lk Ontario but it never made it here. It'll be fun seeing how tomorrow's WAA snows screw me. I'm sure it'll be something novel.

i saw that when i checked radar this morning....mustve been ripping in that band.....that was the classic NW side f-gen band ending up further N than the models had it.....but alas not quite enough.:(

Archived