Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

JB and Torchartie in the same winter :facepalm:

oh well I still have you and Aking for my meteorological chuckles..

btw....now that I've been compared to Respiratory guy I'm thinking of changing my avatar and scheduling dinner with Tom Skilling

and afraid the NW trend is in full effect on this one....looks like a quick hitter either way

Any other reasons why this is going to suck, maybe a mysterious warm layer?

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20z RUC sniffing the nw trend?

fwiw...sfc low looks to be on the OK/KS border at 18z tomorrow where the 18z NAM has it in central OK..

i'll def be following tonights 0z runs that's for sure. I'm liking our position more and more, a good shot at some snow and an outside but increasing shot at lots of snow with little chance of plain rain...knock on wood.

EDIT: you all are taking Baum way too seriously.

Fantastic winter for the southwestern part of the province/SEMI...at this rate, Windsor/Detroit may equal our average total, and we are on track to equal their average total...go figure!

I wonder...could this end up shifting enough NW that we can cash in on it a bit? Like at the start of the month?

you'll get something out of this quite likely

tornadoes in AR sucking in the actual snow itself.

Yes. But it would not be the actual tornadoes rather the convection robbing the moisture transport northward depriving the cold conveyor of it's ability to kick back snow into the deformation zone.:rolleyes:

As for Stebo his problem maybe the Cold Dry high pumping dry air into the storm on the north and east quadrant of the system.:rolleyes:

As for the warm temps at night not sure where that is coming from...but Thundersnow I am sure you are aware that strong WAA can cancel out the usual diurnal swings in temps. In fact I suspect that is Hoosiers concern if the system comes too far north.:rolleyes:

btw..actually did have several phone conversations with Mr. Skilling back in the '80's before cable,computers, and forums. He is as helpful as he seems. And no I did not have cocktails with him.:drunk:

Yes. But it would not be the actual tornadoes rather the convection robbing the moisture transport northward depriving the cold conveyor of it's ability to kick back snow into the deformation zone.:rolleyes:

As for Stebo his problem maybe the Cold Dry high pumping dry air into the storm on the north and east quadrant of the system.:rolleyes:

As for the warm temps at night not sure where that is coming from...but Thundersnow I am sure you are aware that strong WAA can cancel out the usual diurnal swings in temps. In fact I suspect that is Hoosiers concern if the system comes too far north.:rolleyes:

Yes it can, but not with this setup. We never get into the WAA zone as our 850mb winds stay easterly-northeasterly. It's a different situation for the LAF crew.

maybe it comes in even farther north with better sampling :P

For good ole synoptic scale motions the models and satellite retrieval do a fine job overall and many of the times the lack of variability with time is largely due to smaller forecast times. Sampling doesn't hurt of course and can help with details--but decreased forecast and continued satellite data retrieval as the system progresses with time is a big reason too.

I think it is funny now that the guidance has trended stronger and farther N there are no "wait till it is sampled by the upper air network" commentstongue.gif.

It was just a matter of time until they came inline with the euro more. Euro has been a good hit for days now in the watch corridor. It just takes the slow POS GFS time to catchup.

I think it is funny now that the guidance has trended stronger and farther N there are no "wait till it is sampled" by the upper air network commentstongue.gif.

Don't place everyone in the same basket...

While less likely, it's certainly plausible. Just as the supressed solution they were showing yesterday is plausible.

That part of the reason why I refuse to let myself get excited, and this is all besides the fact that the storm has yet to be fully sampled.

If it shows something good (save a northward adjustment) on tomorrow's 12z runs then I may be a bit giddy.

Anyway I have to go this store and get back before Judge Judy comes on. I'll be back in a little bit.

Sampling for this system won't be complete until tommorow right?
Yes, for the 12z run as long as it doesn't slow down anymore.

That's why I'm not geting excited about this run (despite its perfection) because I know this storm isn't done trending.

Don't place everyone in the same basket...

It was partially a joke since the talk has calmed down quite a bit. When things were headed S the alarms were going off in some peoples heads and the typical "wait till it is sampled" talk became boisterous. Naturally if the storm trends a particular way in favor of most folks the talk decreases :) Just an observation I am not lumping everyone together--it was mostly a friendly joke.

As for this system--details need to be worked out with a lot of things--but I don't see this taking a jog well S again and suppressed like the weak solutions a couple days ago. We can clearly see in initial fields that the wave out in the Pacific is stronger and more intact than previously forecasted--no RAOB sampling is needed to make that observation at least.

Now you can blame Canada more :)

How was the move btw? Hope all is well in Maine.

Bittersweet (especially with this moderate risk for tomorrow as a reminder of what I'm leaving behind). But I look forward to new challenges like pytpe :arrowhead:

I'm actually just getting on regular shifts now, which explains my sudden reappearance on the boards after a couple week layoff. A lot going to my west, between the snow and the severe.

when did this happen?

Officially, last Monday, but I got notification of the promotion around Christmas. I couldn't find the Midwest member map to make a post so everyone knew I wasn't actually in the Quad Cities anymore. Whether anyone likes it or not, I'll continue posting on this side if only for my own curiosity in the events.

Officially, last Monday, but I got notification of the promotion around Christmas. I couldn't find the Midwest member map to make a post so everyone knew I wasn't actually in the Quad Cities anymore. Whether anyone likes it or not, I'll continue posting on this side if only for my own curiosity in the events.

i'm glad to here it was a promotion related move, hope you enjoy your new surroundings.

I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say please do keep posting in this forum. We certainly appreciate your analysis and expertise. Oh and have fun in Maine. :thumbsup:

It was partially a joke since the talk has calmed down quite a bit. When things were headed S the alarms were going off in some peoples heads and the typical "wait till it is sampled" talk became boisterous. Naturally if the storm trends a particular way in favor of most folks the talk decreases :) Just an observation I am not lumping everyone together--it was mostly a friendly joke.

As for this system--details need to be worked out with a lot of things--but I don't see this taking a jog well S again and suppressed like the weak solutions a couple days ago. We can clearly see in initial fields that the wave out in the Pacific is stronger and more intact than previously forecasted--no RAOB sampling is needed to make that observation at least.

But even then, the optimistic "wait til its sampled" posts were still not enough to drown out the pessimistic "its over" throw in the towel posts. :lol:

Poor guy is going to be lost man without his sidekick, JB.

Just not enough time as i thought to make this anything worthwhile up here.. Another 48 hrs or so of tracking time and it would be just like the blizzard tick, tick ticking north nw and even $man ended up in the game. GFS pwned again but whats new..

Going to be a sick narrow strip of rippage where its just cold enough and I hope that's LAF up to toronto.

Your good people BowMe...thanks for the well wishes. :) Though I'm afraid the good Doctor was right all along, gonna be ugly for us here, but we'll hope for the best.

Archived