Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fog burned off quickly in the last hour and I'm actually seeing a few peeks of sun. The airport is still only 37, but the weathernet site here here the city is into the low 40s, finally. There are plenty of bare spots in yards and open areas, but there is still a lot more snow to melt.

I see the 12z Euro now has two potential snowstorms here in eastern Iowa, one on day 5 and another day 9, followed by very cold air. Winter ain't over, yet.

It's in the low 40s here. There was plenty of sun today but the temps have been stuck in the low 40s. There is still a pretty good snowpack here though, that's probably limiting the warming. Once the higher dewpoints arrive tonight, fog will probably develop, so there probably won't be much if any sun tomorrow.

There were two Februaries that had a trace of snow total for the entire month in Chicago, 1987 and 1998. Another example is February 1995, which had 0.4" on the 3rd, and then nothing over a T the rest of the month. In essence, it's still pretty rare, but not unprecedented.

Thanks for the info...yeah, I forget how horrible Feb can be for snow here, if things line up the right (wrong) way.

And if we get a bit of snow from the early-week storm, this point will be moot anyway...:snowman:

Lake Michigan is definitely doing its job now in keeping us cooler along the lakeshore than most other areas. Temps sitting in the 30s to around 40 degrees. The temp actually dropped here this afternoon.

Still over a foot of snow in most places....

AHH...as a former resident of northern Lake County Indiana spring is coming when I hear the phrase "cooler by the lake."

Lake Michigan is definitely doing its job now in keeping us cooler along the lakeshore than most other areas. Temps sitting in the 30s to around 40 degrees. The temp actually dropped here this afternoon.

Still over a foot of snow in most places....

Living by the lake has its ups and downs, by far the worst down is being stuck in the '40s with overcast while inland is sunny and 67.

Why the heck is it well into the 50s in central and northern Minnesota? The Cedar Rapids airport is stuck at 37 for the second straight day despite expected highs of 45 and 50. For whatever reason this part of Iowa has a harder time warming up than most locations around the region this time of year... and it drives me nuts. Tomorrow's forecast is 55-60, so we'll probably struggle to reach 50.

AHH...as a former resident of northern Lake County Indiana spring is coming when I hear the phrase "cooler by the lake."

haha! Yup, I was thinking the same thing today. You know you've turned the corner towards the warmer months when it goes from "coldest in inland areas away from the lake" to "cooler by the lake". From now until about September it will be "cooler by the lake", which I love because it slows down the melting snow and makes for BEAUTIFUL, sunny weather in the summer with a cool breeze on the warmest of days.

Living by the lake has its ups and downs, by far the worst down is being stuck in the '40s with overcast while inland is sunny and 67.

It's even worse for him though. How would you like to have a SW wind be a cool wind off the lake? Even worse imagine being northeast of Lake Superior or Lake Huron. Yikes. Everytime a warm airmass comes in during the Spring and early Summer, it would probably be chilly and foggy.

It's even worse for him though. How would you like to have a SW wind be a cool wind off the lake? Even worse imagine being northeast of Lake Superior or Lake Huron. Yikes. Everytime a warm airmass comes in during the Spring and early Summer, it would probably be chilly and foggy.

no doubt. I only suffer under NE flows (which suck anyways) or really light flows when backdoor fronts come down the lake, but those are kind of cool.

Free AC.. what am I missing. Winds off the lake on the west side in spring seem to rule the roost. 75/80 in La Crosse while along the lake is upper 40's and 50's.

Yeah, Spring here is definitely slow and lasts a LONG time. The trees don't seem to get buds or leaves on them until May. However, the summers are just spectacular! For somebody like me who likes cooler summers and lots of snow (and allows my wife to be near civilization), this is one of the few places where that's possible.

A foot of snow here is "nothing" to the life-long locals and school rarely closes. There's days where we have 10 inches of snow and they don't even bat an eye.

The WORST is when it is snowing inland and raining by the lake. Happened far too often to me this past fall. A close second is fog and cooler by the lake though. It is actually warmer by the lake here today with west winds.

IWX recently posted a 33 total tornado count for their CWA for 2010 on their website, which is a number one record. Storms in Indiana occurred during days in June and October. EF 3 from Cass to Miami County was the strongest storm. We certainly had our tornado day here in Elkhart county on June 23 with 5 tors reported in the county. Will be interesting to see what LaNina brings us this spring.

i can live with that since it often evens out by later in winter.

In your area what is the difference between annual snowfall at the waterfront versus somewhere maybe 15 miles from Lake Michigan? Here the difference is probably 25-30". Last year it was 40"!

IWX recently posted a 33 total tornado count for their CWA for 2010 on their website, which is a number one record. Storms in Indiana occurred during days in June and October. EF 3 from Cass to Miami County was the strongest storm. We certainly had our tornado day here in Elkhart county on June 23 with 5 tors reported in the county. Will be interesting to see what LaNina brings us this spring.

My thoughts are more of the same. Probably earlier this year than last too.

Here's a webcam of a local street that shows how much snow we still have left here...Unfortunately it's not the most attractive street and the snow looks dirty, but there are no other webcams with scenic views for this area. Anyways, here it is....still plenty of snow left.

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/WorkinMan/1/show.html

Free AC.. what am I missing. Winds off the lake on the west side in spring seem to rule the roost. 75/80 in La Crosse while along the lake is upper 40's and 50's.

Free AC is fine during those hot and humid summer days but those April days where it's 65F inland and in the 40s near the lake can get old. While a NE wind is common during the Spring, the warmest of Spring days of course have a strong SW wind. If you lived northeast of one of the Great Lakes, you wouldn't get the benefit of what usually turns out to be a one day warm up in the Spring. Also, being northeast of one of the Great Lakes can't be good for t-storms.

Archived