Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously there is till time to see it play out...but many of the long-range models show zero measurable snow at ORD for the rest of February.

If correct, that will mean no measurable snow at ORD from Feb. 9-28, and only 0.1" from Feb. 8-28. That has probably never occurred in Chicago's climate record.

I'm not saying this to complain (and of course the long-range models may change between now and then); I'm just making the point that it's amazing how quickly things can turn around.

Quite a change from the first week of Feb., when ORD saw 26" of snow.

Obviously there is till time to see it play out...but many of the long-range models show zero measurable snow at ORD for the rest of February.

If correct, that will mean no measurable snow at ORD from Feb. 9-28, and only 0.1" from Feb. 8-28. That has probably never occurred in Chicago's climate record.

I'm not saying this to complain (and of course the long-range models may change between now and then); I'm just making the point that it's amazing how quickly things can turn around.

You guys are paying for that nearly 2 feet blizzard with thundersnow now, eh?

There were two Februaries that had a trace of snow total for the entire month in Chicago, 1987 and 1998. Another example is February 1995, which had 0.4" on the 3rd, and then nothing over a T the rest of the month. In essence, it's still pretty rare, but not unprecedented.

As for snow potential the next few weeks, we finally have the mess in the Atlantic out of the way so now we can get storms coming out of the pacific to cut. We just need to get the Pacific in some type of order so they don't all cut N/W of us.

There's always something going wrong, right?

We just can't get rid of the low clouds and fog and it's ticking me off. We couldn't get out of the 30s yesterday and we're stuck in the mid 30s again this morning because of dense fog. Meanwhile, locations to the east and west have had much more sun. The moisture plume is perfectly placed to screw us.

I'm not sure what's up with the GFS this morning. It was real late to get started and it's still barely crawling out to only 30 hours.

Archived