Day 10 Euro

-Ridging in Greenland...check

-Trough NE of Hawaii...check

-Ridging building toward Alaska...check

-Trough moving through Japan...check

-Winter of 10/11...check

we'll be fooked again

http://www.ecmwf.int...s!2011021212!!/

LOL, and DT just canceled winter for the EC yesterday on FB.

Add this to Mitchnick's check list.

Day 10 Euro

-Ridging in Greenland...check

-Trough NE of Hawaii...check

-Ridging building toward Alaska...check

-Trough moving through Japan...check

-Winter of 10/11...check

we'll be fooked again

http://www.ecmwf.int...s!2011021212!!/

Yep, I don't think the euro will show snow on the 00Z run, I really don't think the 12Z 500 looked that good.

Yep, I don't think the euro will show snow on the 00Z run, I really don't think the 12Z 500 looked that good.

I'm more interested in the next 30 days overall. Will be interesting to see if this warmup is transient instead of the cold being over for the season.

I would hedge on getting cold again. It was so persistent this season. A flip to straight warm as a longer term pattern doesn't seen reasonable. Well probably step back to a cold period before the end of the season. Snow on the other hand is anyone's guess at this point. We'll track some threats and see what materializes. It would be awesome if we can get a good overrunner or even a good coastal before the end of March.

I did some VERY basic research about Mar snow @ DCA in strong Nina years. Here's what I found:

55-56 4"

73-74 T

75-76 .8

88-89 .4

If these #'s are wrong, please let me know. If they are right, DC had some snow in Mar in all 4 strong Ninas.

March 25, 1974 had a storm that missed DC to the SE.

Norfolk had 7.5" that day. Meanwhile, RIC didn't get anything.

GFS and Euro both showing a cool down next weekend. Some pretty cold stuff entering the middle of the country too. Looking at the NAO, AO, and PNA forecasts kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

NAO forecast to be neutral at best, AO stays positive, and no sign of a +PNA. Of course this could easily change but as I see it right now I don't think we will have any legitimate threats anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: 12Z GFS aint pretty. Nothing in the entire run to even think about. Don S said the trough returns to the EC during the first week of March. Big March coastal to ice the cake or time to move on?

snow piles are almost gone. :thumbsup:

I still have about 40% coverage, but I'm sure that by this time tomorrow there will be none. The piles along the walkway and the driveway will need about 3 days to disappear, I suppose. I'll be glad to see it gone. I was out walking in the yard, picking up some limbs, and it is amazing how hard the ground is. I wonder just how deep the freezing level is. It will take a while to warm up the ground, at least beyond an inch or two.

00Z for the Euro and GFS and their ensembles show a pretty decent block setting up in the mid range. Only holds if for 3 or 4 days before it weakens it and moves it east though. Both the GFS and the Euro also have energy in the southwest coming out the same time as the block starts to break down. Could be interesting if we could get the block to hold a little longer with the setup shown.

meh.. after a day like this what's the point in hoping for 1-2" that melts 3 minutes after it stops?

I'd be happy if it stayed this way or we got a little snow either works for me. I think we might be done with 20s for highs though maybe? Don't know.

You better perk up for severe season. :arrowhead:

I'd be happy if it stayed this way or we got a little snow either works for me. I think we might be done with 20s for highs though maybe? Don't know.

You better perk up for severe season. :arrowhead:

we should be done with 20s for highs.. i sure hope so at least.

meh.. after a day like this what's the point in hoping for 1-2" that melts 3 minutes after it stops?

Exactly. It's beautiful out. I'm done with Winter, and all the colds and illness that go with it. Thankfully, cold air in March doesn't have the potency and staying power of cold air in January.

With the possible storm this weekend/early next week... Given what's happened this winter with storm tracks there's still time for a sizable shift to a storm that slides to our south. Even if it doesn't I really like the HP to our north. That should provide a good chance at some decent CAD. We shall see.

Maybe, but this is probably more of wishing, but also dont forget the given with whats happened in terms of storms drifting back north inside 72 hours....I doubt this system produces any wintry effects for the area.

Archived