Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Look Ahead Thread

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going to have to erode that subtropical high somehow... what better way than dive-bombing it with system after system?

and what a worst time to have to do it if you like snow in the MA (OK, maybe August would be worse, but I'm talking about the worst time to have to do it when the chances of snow are climatologically possible)

Euro looks *potentially* interesting N MD for the early week system.. precip with 0c not getting much north of D.C. Mon night. end of next week has a big low nw of chicago shooting warmth at us. d10 still shows trough in the west with no major sign of -nao etc.

Euro looks *potentially* interesting N MD for the early week system.. precip with 0c not getting much north of D.C. Mon night. end of next week has a big low nw of chicago shooting warmth at us. d10 still shows trough in the west with no major sign of -nao etc.

The only hint of a neg nao is during the early week system as some ridging develops over greenland and a northern stream system over easterN canada to its west acts to force the redevelopment of the surface low south. I'll probalby write something tomorrow even if the long range shows no storms.

The only hint of a neg nao is during the early week system as some ridging develops over greenland and a northern stream system over easterN canada to its west acts to force the redevelopment of the surface low south. I'll probalby write something tomorrow even if the long range shows no storms.

looks like guidance has backed off the -nao returning in any great fashion anytime soon.

I can kind of understand short-term run-to-run modelcasting, but in the medium/long range? Come on, you're all better than that.

when are people on this board going to stop using that tired old, backhanded derogatory comment?

its used all over around here, AP, wx

how about a little originality if you're going to make a shiatty remark to someone, or at least make it funny

:huh:

I agree with him...he wasn't insulting you so there's no need for you to respond like that. Calm down sheesh. :wacko:

People get hurt too easily on here.

the models are better at pattern recognition than storm specifics.. comparing the ideas as if they are the same is sill. they pretty much nailed the warmup at this range.

the models are better at pattern recognition than storm specifics.. comparing the ideas as if they are the same is sill. they pretty much nailed the warmup at this range.

Yes they did. The pattern reamins one in which there will be more warm days than cold especially if we can't get a negative nao going. The models have been vacillating about whether one develops or not and with no MJO help, it's hard to knwo whether one will or will not develop. The pacific is problem no matter what but that's relying on the models and we're better than that. :whistle:

Just saying... semi-long term trends >> run-to-run changes

I'm not sure why people are using individual runs from d+6 and later to describe what's going to happen. Instead, look at general trends (which is not comparing just two recent runs) in what the pattern is doing.

i guess these charts are produced for no reason?

http://www.cpc.ncep....index_ensm.html

You could use the same argument to say "why have individual model output at all past d+5?" :P It's a nice product to have (MDA even produces their own similar graphics), but like looking at the maps, one must seek the trends and overall idea rather than just look at the output of a single run in the medium/long range.

-----

The GFS Op. has been consistently holding onto the Southeast ridge more so than the Euro going into early next week, which would mean more aboves for us rather than neutral/below normal temps around mid-week next week. The Euro has been verifying better with 2m temps in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic recently, but the ridge usually likes to come in stronger than the models suggest in the medium range once it's "established" over the region, so I wouldn't be surprised if the GFS solution ended up verifying better. I say "established" because the ridge is a relatively recent feature, and a definite long-term pattern change hasn't really been set yet.

Archived