• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

I wonder if people would consider a high of 32-33F at BOS as "frigid" for Feb 7th...that's the equivalent of a 41-42F high in the other direction. I try to reserve the extreme words for stuff that is at least double digit departures.

Coming out a period where -5F to -10F departures from the high were the normal...+4 or +5 feels a lot warmer.

The arctic intrusion we see later this week will probably help the milder period (if it comes in strong) feel obscenely warm. Like where 53F feels like 70F type stuff.

:lol: AWT.

1-3" for me. Expecting 1", hoping for 2 or 3.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, I think its relative. We had high temps in the teens and 20s last week which is a solid 10 to 15 below avg so now when we are 3-5F above avg it feels like a total torch when in reality its just slightly above avg. Most of the time its all about expectations and relative comparisons rather than absolute reality.

We will all be outside in our short sleeves when the high is 58F in March....in June if the high was 58F, you'd see almost everyone wearing long sleeves even though the temp isn't one iota different.

:weenie:

It's been significantly warmer than forecast here for the past two days...which I guess adds insult to injury.

I believe BOX had a high of 38 for here yesterday...actual high was 45F. Similar deal with respect to today. I didn't think using the description of a torch would cause people to get their panties in a bunch.

Today is what I'd describe as "seasonably mild" which is another way of saying "slightly above avg"....high so far today at BOS is 41F (4F above avg for Feb 7th), 39F at PVD (1F above avg), 39F at BDL (3F above avg) and 37F at ORH (5F above avg)...probably wont add any more to that except perhaps a degree with the afternoon waning on and cloud cover moving in.

It certainly feels a lot milder compared to those -10 to -15 high temp departures we had last week...because it is a lot milder...by about 15-20F. But I woudn't classify it as a "torch". Just my opinion though and others can create their own subjective criteria. I know there was probably a small pocket in interior E/SE MA that was a little warmer relative to climo today...but the real "torch" possibility is not until next week sometime IMHO.

We had a +10-15 departure two days ago. Felt nice then.

Hit 46 here today which is several above normal. When it's several the other way it will feel very cold...but that doesn't change the fact that for these three days my average high has probably been +7...torch and felt nice particularly before the slight wind picked up today. Now it feels "normal."

Boston was a +9 yesterday, Providence was +9

I can't get the climate deal to work on the BOX site but Providence was over 50 Saturday so the departure had to be at least the same amount. It's not just a matter of it feeling warmer, even from a meteorological standpoint it HAS been warm for from Providence east in SNE.

Still has a pretty good screw zone right over my head, but who knows if it will play out exactly like that.

I don't like when you have these separate areas of qpf until it consolidates over your head. I guess we can cheer for that stuff by NC coming up, or having this stuff develop south of LI around 12z like the NAM shows.

We had a +10-15 departure two days ago. Felt nice then.

Hit 46 here today which is several above normal. When it's several the other way it will feel very cold...but that doesn't change the fact that for these three days my average high has probably been +7...torch and felt nice particularly before the slight wind picked up today. Now it feels "normal."

Boston was a +9 yesterday, Providence was +9

I can't get the climate deal to work on the BOX site but Providence was over 50 Saturday so the departure had to be at least the same amount. It's not just a matter of it feeling warmer, even from a meteorological standpoint it HAS been warm for from Providence east in SNE.

PVD hit 44F on Saturday, not 50F. Show me where they hit 50F

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KPVD.html

Also yesterday mornings low temps were torch, but the highs were exactly what I've said, just a few above normal. So if you want to count the low temps as a torch, that's fine. Your backyard and surrounding areas torched on Sat night with the rainstorm but a majority of the area did not get into that warm sector. You can interpret the data how you please, but it is what it is. When you say stuff like "forget about the torch next week, its already here"...that's pretty deceiving in my book. Next week's potential has a lot more possibility of being an actual torch rather than a manifested one in your own view. BOS/ORH/PVD/BDL are going to end up averaging like +5 to +6 over these past 3 days. Seasonably mild, yes...torch? I don't think so. I'd like to see some double digit departures over a few days to call it that...but perhaps my use of the word is more stingy than yours. I don't call a -5F departure frigid either...maybe you do.

It's been significantly warmer than forecast here for the past two days...which I guess adds insult to injury.

I believe BOX had a high of 38 for here yesterday...actual high was 45F. Similar deal with respect to today. I didn't think using the description of a torch would cause people to get their panties in a bunch.

The departure on 2/1 in PVD was -9. It was +9 yesterday. 2/1 was frigid, 2/6 a torch. I don't even know why people are debating it. I guess I should say 2/5 into 2/6 was a torch...now it's just warmer than normal. +9 departures are kind of "warm."

--

Scott the RUC has been running west of the NAM for a few runs now...pretty sure once again it's going to kick butt and take names. Kev could easily see 8" with good ratios.

Archived