Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

PVD hit 44F on Saturday, not 50F. Show me where they hit 50F

http://www.srh.noaa....story/KPVD.html

Also yesterday mornings low temps were torch, but the highs were exactly what I've said, just a few above normal. So if you want to count the low temps as a torch, that's fine. Your backyard and surrounding areas torched on Sat night with the rainstorm but a majority of the area did not get into that warm sector. You can interpret the data how you please, but it is what it is. When you say stuff like "forget about the torch next week, its already here"...that's pretty deceiving in my book. Next week's potential has a lot more possibility of being an actual torch rather than a manifested one in your own view. BOS/ORH/PVD/BDL are going to end up averaging like +5 to +6 over these past 3 days. Seasonably mild, yes...torch? I don't think so. I'd like to see some double digit departures over a few days to call it that...but perhaps my use of the word is more stingy than yours. I don't call a -5F departure frigid either...maybe you do.

48, not 50 or 44 but I was closer so :P. The 6 hour max occured with the 47 degree hourly report...it was 48.

0600:51W 20 G 3210.00OvercastFEW010 BKN014 OVC0294236483779%29.24990.3

Again it's not all about your backyard. I hit the 50's on Saturday which is more than a ten degree departure...double digits. Unless I missed I'm not sure where I said you were torching.....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The departure on 2/1 in PVD was -9. It was +9 yesterday. 2/1 was frigid, 2/6 a torch. I don't even know why people are debating it. I guess I should say 2/5 into 2/6 was a torch...now it's just warmer than normal. +9 departures are kind of "warm."

--

Scott the RUC has been running west of the NAM for a few runs now...pretty sure once again it's going to kick butt and take names. Kev could easily see 8" with good ratios.

I think the whole torch debate is intrinsically dumb because there is no set meteorological definition. whatever...if you think it's a torch then it's a torch. To me, it feels rather warm since it's been relatively cold over the past month. The last two days in the mid-40s feels more like the mid-50s. I can't speak for others, but February 1st was like -12F departure here so it felt pretty damn cold. The only person around here who was clearly trolling with the warmth nonsense was BIrving...everyone else I felt was being completely reasonable.

I think the whole torch debate is intrinsically dumb because there is no set meteorological definition. whatever...if you think it's a torch then it's a torch. To me, it feels rather warm since it's been relatively cold over the past month. The last two days in the mid-40s feels more like the mid-50s. I can't speak for others, but February 1st was like -12F departure here so it felt pretty damn cold. The only person around here who was clearly trolling with the warmth nonsense was BIrving...everyone else I felt was being completely reasonable.

Yes, and I think Will's perspective comes from high atop the Worcester Rockies where it hasn't broken 40 in quite some time. I'm joking but I understand why he feels that way, just not sure why he doesn't understand that where all the cool people live on the CP it's been warmer. 51-52 felt like a warm summers night here with thunder and lightning on Saturday. Mid 40s both days since has been great.

--

Scott, RUC...shall lead us to victory or to our doom we shall see soon.

LA would be a good choice for you, hour drive to Skiing ,little forecast issues, you can sit around all day at work play all day on the internet and forecast morning clouds, sunny High of 72 low of 58.

What do meteorologists do from April - October down there? Issue UV and smog advisories and SCA's on Lake Havasu?

Archived