Newest Member
    northernriwx
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro argues for a Miller B potential around D8 ....GFS had it too

yeah i raised this Valentine's day potential yesterday... GFS has been pretty consistent with this signal, though it's over a week away

looks like Euro track is a little too far north for SNE

yesterday's 18Z GFS:

40F is Spring right now. Early Feb, many stations above normal today and past days. Hell it's 50 on LI right now and practically 50 in sun most of the coastal plain.

Staring drooling at the models, is if anything, rushing your life away.

Why fantasize over a D 10 image? ENJOY the 24 inches of snow on the ground and 50F I've been outside today spraypainting/painting stuff outdoors for indoors later. LOL

This is great weather and it should also be permissable to talk about without attempts to being insulted (MRG).

Well, some of us are not experiencing warmth today (or yesterday). Currently sitting at 32.2/26 off a high of 32.9. Guess a little above normal for early February but not in a torch way. So, no spring fever here.

Today is what I'd describe as "seasonably mild" which is another way of saying "slightly above avg"....high so far today at BOS is 41F (4F above avg for Feb 7th), 39F at PVD (1F above avg), 39F at BDL (3F above avg) and 37F at ORH (5F above avg)...probably wont add any more to that except perhaps a degree with the afternoon waning on and cloud cover moving in.

It certainly feels a lot milder compared to those -10 to -15 high temp departures we had last week...because it is a lot milder...by about 15-20F. But I woudn't classify it as a "torch". Just my opinion though and others can create their own subjective criteria. I know there was probably a small pocket in interior E/SE MA that was a little warmer relative to climo today...but the real "torch" possibility is not until next week sometime IMHO.

Today is what I'd describe as "seasonably mild" which is another way of saying "slightly above avg"....high so far today at BOS is 41F (4F above avg for Feb 7th), 39F at PVD (1F above avg), 39F at BDL (3F above avg) and 37F at ORH (5F above avg)...probably wont add any more to that except perhaps a degree with the afternoon waning on and cloud cover moving in.

It certainly feels a lot milder compared to those -10 to -15 high temp departures we had last week...because it is a lot milder...by about 15-20F. But I woudn't classify it as a "torch". Just my opinion though and others can create their own subjective criteria. I know there was probably a small pocket in interior E/SE MA that was a little warmer relative to climo today...but the real "torch" possibility is not until next week sometime IMHO.

there's no room for rational thought in here Will. You know that.

there's no room for rational thought in here Will. You know that.

Like I said, I think its relative. We had high temps in the teens and 20s last week which is a solid 10 to 15 below avg so now when we are 3-5F above avg it feels like a total torch when in reality its just slightly above avg. Most of the time its all about expectations and relative comparisons rather than absolute reality.

We will all be outside in our short sleeves when the high is 58F in March....in June if the high was 58F, you'd see almost everyone wearing long sleeves even though the temp isn't one iota different.

Like I said, I think its relative. We had high temps in the teens and 20s last week which is a solid 10 to 15 below avg so now when we are 3-5F above avg it feels like a total torch when in reality its just slightly above avg. Most of the time its all about expectations and relative comparisons rather than absolute reality.

We will all be outside in our short sleeves when the high is 58F in March....in June if the high was 58F, you'd see almost everyone wearing long sleeves even though the temp isn't one iota different.

oh i agree 100%.

funny how these things go. BOS will dip below freezing midday tomorrow and probably not see it again until sat or sun.

My 3 day stretch thus far

51F - torch

45F - pretty close to a torch

43F - above avg.

Your location averages like 38-39 at this pont. 51F is a torch I guess but 45F and 43F is not. I agree with Will and Phil.

Unless you feel that any day that you're high is below 32F is "epic cold", which I don't think is correct at all, then today is not a torch.

41F again today here. Slightly above average.

Any thoughts on squalls tom afternoon, okx mentioned this possibility along with a flash freeze??

That would be cool. Was that a December day in 2003 when we got that quick half inch of snow during rush hour and an immediate freeze of it? I was living in Worcester at the time. I remember trying to get out of town for a meeting in Springfield. After 45 minutes and only going half a mile, a came home and postponed the meeting.

oh i agree 100%.

funny how these things go. BOS will dip below freezing midday tomorrow and probably not see it again until sat or sun.

I wonder if people would consider a high of 32-33F at BOS as "frigid" for Feb 7th...that's the equivalent of a 41-42F high in the other direction. I try to reserve the extreme words for stuff that is at least double digit departures.

Coming out a period where -5F to -10F departures from the high were the normal for over 3 weeks...+4 or +5 feels a lot warmer.

The arctic intrusion we see later this week will probably help the milder period (if it comes in strong) feel obscenely warm. Like where 53F feels like 70F type stuff.

Archived