joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just glanced at my backyard and it appears most of the 10 sticks I used to mark measuring spots are still as exposed as they were before the storm began. It looks like the middle of my yard has very little accumulation while there are big drifts along the fence. I don't know where I'm going to measure in the morning.

Just went outside to have a look around. Holy sh*t. Lots of cars have snow drifted halfway up the doors and up over their hoods. Road I live off of has four to five foot drifts across it. Area I shoveled off at 730pm in a nice calm area has another 9.75 inches on it as of 1225am. Prior to that had appx. 6.5 inches...so as of 1225am I have a storm total of 16.25 inches and still decent snow coming down with nice sized flakes. Should be able to achieve 18"+ easily thinking might be able to hit 19" before all is said and done.

This is not what I expected. This storm was over-hyped in and around my area. Many businesses and schools, universities closed. Thus far I have 4 maybe 5", and it has been sleeting for the last hour. Radar looks impressive atm, but nothing to brag about, everything is to the n/w. Winds also calmed down significantly. Not sure what to say.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

1208 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK... WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...CHICAGO... OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC... WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...RENSSELAER... FOWLER

1208 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011 /108 AM EST WED FEB 2 2011/

..BLIZZARD CREATING LIFE THREATENING SITUATION FOR MOTORISTS

REPORTS FROM MEDIA AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALLY INDICATE THAT HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF VEHICLES HAVE GONE OFF THE ROADS. THE GOVERNOR HAS ACTIVATED THE NATIONAL GUARD WHO ARE CURRENTLY RESCUING STRANDED MOTORISTS.

THE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT...PARTICULARLY IN OPEN AREAS WHERE WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WILL MAKE TRAVEL IMPOSSIBLE. LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE TELLING PEOPLE TO STAY OFF THE ROADS AS NOT A SINGLE ROAD IS PASSABLE IN RURAL AND OPEN AREAS. THEY ARE ASKING PEOPLE TO STAY IN A SAFE PLACE AND NOT TO LEAVE HOME TONIGHT.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. DO NOT TRAVEL UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY OVERNIGHT.

IZZI

Im still depressing over the no thunder/lightning as you can tell but will eventually shake that and want to save some stuff from today/tonight..

maybe an idea to make a thread so people could throw up any obs, radar, graphics, or whatever they think is worthy of saving...and just get a collection of stuff from everyone.

didn't fully look at the MDW obs but know the guy who was observing at the time so I will def want to save those.

Got around .75" of ice. Power is dead. Had to pack up and head to my parents place. Just dangerous out. Walk outside and all you can hear are trees breaking and landing on stuff.. Transformers blowing all around. Tried to go for a walk to get some good pics, but just too many trees around and its too dangerous to be walking near trees or powerlines.. Good luck to you in the snow with the rest of the storm. Central IN/OH Definitely got the worst portion of it. Most people that even hate snow would rather have snow over ice.

I got to see a few snowflakes from this storm! Have some flurries right now. For those of us who have been in the warm sector, I think the most impressive part of this storm is the fact that we have seen some incredible wind and we have dropped 30 degrees since about 6:30 this evening. Dropped 20 degrees in less than 2 hours. Temperatures is 26 now.

This is not what I expected. This storm was over-hyped in and around my area. Many businesses and schools, universities closed. Thus far I have 4 maybe 5", and it has been sleeting for the last hour. Radar looks impressive atm, but nothing to brag about, everything is to the n/w. Winds also calmed down significantly. Not sure what to say.

I should have probably tempered the amounts a bit in Southern Lower Michigan, concern is always there with such a deep storm that the sleet/ice zone will be further North or the dry slot will punch further North. Gotta remember snow is the toughest thing to forecast and for your area this is a good example. It's not entirely over yet there though...

Temps went up above freezing south of Indy. Falling ice off of power lines, trees was a hazard between 11 and 1a.m. Winds are gusting pretty good now, at least 35+ and maybe above 50 at times.

We lost power for about 1.5 hours earlier, REMC found a main line down and had to disconnect our area to repair it.

I was very fortunate my wife went into full labor 30 minutes before the freezing rain event Monday evening, and we were able to check out of the hospital one hour before round two came in Tuesday afternoon. Our delivery doctor had not still not left the hospital for at least two days straight, she had an ectopic pregnancy surgery after delivering our girl. Some of the hospital nurses could not make it in and many were sleeping at the hospital to cover a second or even third 12-hour shift. Johnson county put out an travel emergency starting at 1p.m. Tuesday as did many counties I see.

Time to see if we get any snow to blow around for Wednesday from what's left in Illinois

Just went outside to have a look around. Holy sh*t. Lots of cars have snow drifted halfway up the doors and up over their hoods. Road I live off of has four to five foot drifts across it. Area I shoveled off at 730pm in a nice calm area has another 9.75 inches on it as of 1225am. Prior to that had appx. 6.5 inches...so as of 1225am I have a storm total of 16.25 inches and still decent snow coming down with nice sized flakes. Should be able to achieve 18"+ easily thinking might be able to hit 19" before all is said and done.

Holy sh*t is right. The amount of snow is astounding. Can't wait to take some more accurate measurements early tomorrow. As for now I'm estimating 13-15", but early morning when the wind is lower and the snow is done I'll measure. Still snowing pretty heavily. :guitar:

I'm in Waterloo as well.

:weight_lift:

We're at 1.7" in town. We've cleared out, but it's quickly filling back in... in about 25 minutes by the looks of radar.

haha ya ive lived here for 3 years now. but not to be a debbie but this storm looks like crap, be lucky if our area manages 15cm. im going to call it a night and hope i dont have 11am class

That speaks volumes as to how bad this must be. People possibly stranded til morning on a major road in the heart of a major city. Good grief.

I am blown away that in the heart of the 3rd largest city in the US people are stranded on a major road.

Here is another picture for Peoria. My apartment is in a pretty sheltered area but I am still seeing some impressive drifts. post-5668-0-68697500-1296632225.jpg

Archived