amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part VI

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so harvey says 6-12" ?? who is going to be correct/ Hard for me to say Harvey with matts track record but have to admit he does seem too high so I would say 8-14 is a good bet going to be close if gfs qpf is correct than yeah I would say 12--18 gong to be fun regardless!

Still just below freezing here, windy too!

We picked up another tenth or so of junk after 130pm.

BTW was just watching Americans Funniest Home Videos from Sunday night. If any of you have it on the DVR check out the scene with the dancing couple at the beginning. Guy in the back is cutting a line of coke it looks like...nice job censors!

ok so harvey says 6-12" ?? who is going to be correct/ Hard for me to say Harvey with matts track record but have to admit he does seem too high so I would say 8-14 is a good bet going to be close if gfs qpf is correct than yeah I would say 12--18 gong to be fun regardless!

6-12'' + 6-8'' that most got today = 12-20'', his original call.

Harvey's correct. He's the master. What did he say for our BOS-ORH Pike area?

6.5" of new snow from event #1. Currently a light freezing drizzle. Second round should move in here around 1 AM or so. Looks like central Berkshire County will be right in the battle zone for sleet vs. snow. If dynamics can offset the warming from WAA during the height of the event, we should do well. Otherwise, pingers get in here during the heaviest of the snow and hold accums down.

Based on QPF and soundings, I'm going for 4 to 6 inches before IP toward the CT line, 6 to 8 before IP in the middle near and just above the Pike, and 8 to 10 in the northern areas near the VT line. North of there could be 10 to 12. However, if the pingers hold off until the dry slot moves in, the amounts will be a bit higher. I'm going to need all 42.4 degrees of latitude with this.

Checking the soundings in a bit more detail for GFS 18z, it looks like all snow through hr 21 with some really heavy precip and the flip around 24 is right when it's winding down. Perhaps it's dynamics ftw? So even the torchy GFS gives us some good front end snow, good sign imo.

Here's the 21z sounding which is 15Z wednesday - 10 am??

Storm really scoots out pretty fast

post-1511-0-13914000-1296598068.png

Even at 24Z it's pretty close to isothermal at 0C but it's clearly dried out in the snow zone (Green line for those who don't read these things much is dewpoint)

post-1511-0-15215700-1296598245.png

GFS has a bias that many people who know the models knows. It likes to put the precipitation field/ area coverage way to far out from its' center. That being said; The GFS amounts with a tighter blob of precipitation like the NAM has it seems to be a better forecast. That means Harvey Leonard's map is probably correct.

Ok, time for a nap before a long night/early morning ahead.

I think the steady precip is going to get back in here a bit sooner than models have it. Might favor the faster GFS for qpf.

Im Thinking of trying to fall asleep by 9pm and get up around 4-5am. Im fine missing some but it should be fun to track.

5-9" is my call here. If we somehow stay snow up till 11am or noon...9"...if it sleets around 8-9 am...5".

Checking the soundings in a bit more detail for GFS 18z, it looks like all snow through hr 21 with some really heavy precip and the flip around 24 is right when it's winding down. Perhaps it's dynamics ftw? So even the torchy GFS gives us some good front end snow, good sign imo.

Here's the 21z sounding which is 15Z wednesday - 10 am??

Storm really scoots out pretty fast

post-1511-0-13914000-1296598068.png

Even at 24Z it's pretty close to isothermal at 0C but it's clearly dried out in the snow zone (Green line for those who don't read these things much is dewpoint)

post-1511-0-15215700-1296598245.png

Thanks for checking that. Good man! I still think we book an xtra 6+ but Harv giving me pause....

Look at the shading overlay. Blue snow, red ice, green rain...

No...blue horizontal lines are snow. Green vertical are rain. The diagonals are ice (not sure if they distinguish from PL and FZRA though).

Oh, ok. The blue splotches confused me.

Boston was on the 2-4/4-6 line.

Yesterday someone joked that BOS may get more in the 1st round than the 2nd round...

Looks like we got 6"+ in the metro region Tues.

Still think copious qpf before a mix will produce Wednesday midnight-10am, even if a mix happens by 10am and Messenger wins his dinner.

Archived