Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it's gotten colder over the past few hours and some of us are experiecing freezing drizzle, with this bomb of a storm (see water vapor map) developing in the plains states which appears to be nothing but a lakes cutter, (it appears to be headed directly toward the ohio valley and then up west toward Detroit).. How are we going to get more than a period of frozen precip before turning to rain in the NYC metro area.. I would appear as though with a system this strong going way to our west, we're basically doomed. What am I missing here?

Jeff

there is high pressure to the north with northerly surface winds. as long as that keeps up, it can hold in the cold air at the surface. you're right in terms of snow...we won't see any as the upper levels have already warmed considerably.

While it's gotten colder over the past few hours and some of us are experiecing freezing drizzle, with this bomb of a storm (see water vapor map) developing in the plains states which appears to be nothing but a lakes cutter, (it appears to be headed directly toward the ohio valley and then up west toward Detroit).. How are we going to get more than a period of frozen precip before turning to rain in the NYC metro area.. I would appear as though with a system this strong going way to our west, we're basically doomed. What am I missing here?

Jeff

The problem is not what happens then....The problem is ice is building up now

there is high pressure to the north with northerly surface winds. as long as that keeps up, it can hold in the cold air at the surface. you're right in terms of snow...we won't see any as the upper levels have already warmed considerably.

Yup-- this is basically a snowstorm from Oklahoma City to Chicago to Boston. 12 inches plus in and between those cities.

How long can this High pressure sit there.. As PT commented earlier, he said that this storm can't move in the direction it wants b/c of this High Pressure.. Is it possible that this Low under cuts the High and goes further east? I dunno.. I am just confused, b/c it would appear as though that H would move on out if it wasn't strong enough to hold the Low pressure at bay.. and if it was strong enough, the Low would undercut to the south and we'd all be in trouble w/ an ice storm..

How long can this High pressure sit there.. As PT commented earlier, he said that this storm can't move in the direction it wants b/c of this High Pressure.. Is it possible that this Low under cuts the High and goes further east? I dunno.. I am just confused, b/c it would appear as though that H would move on out if it wasn't strong enough to hold the Low pressure at bay.. and if it was strong enough, the Low would undercut to the south and we'd all be in trouble w/ an ice storm..

There's going to be secondary development, but it will be too close to us for it to snow here. That's for new england.

Has anyone noticed that the steady precip is 1000 miles from here? It will have a tough time getting to our area by midnight unless there is some mechanism by which the atmos becomes saturated prior to the storms arrival...delayed in this case will probably result in denied (good for some I know) as there will be insufficient cold air tomorrow for a daylight ice storm.

Edit: This is assuming we don't see a quicker jump to the coast which would lock in the cold air and provide the lift needed for precip to break out here rather than track in from the west.

I'd appreciate anyone's input.

There's going to be secondary development, but it will be too close to us for it to snow here. That's for new england.

I would remind you that that's kind of still in doubt somewhat, as to where exactly secondary development occurs. It's going to be a close call, we're right on the fence for this event.

latest surface analysis shows that our origional high pressure center that was located just to the north of VT is now over eastern ME and the pressure has fallen to 1030 from an earlier high of 1035. Meanwhile, a much stronger area of high pressure > 1040 mb is advancing eastward and is taking on the "bannana high" look that some models were indicating. High pressure should pretty much stay locked in over southern Canada.

pchg.gif?1296589632473

The 2nd round of precip. likely won't get to NYC by midnight, but around 2-3AM. The HRRR has been doing a very good job on the intensification of the primary low and the progress of the precip, and it suggests the precip. will arrive 1-2 hours ahead of the NAM/GFS.

The heaviest precip. should be from around 8AM to noon tomorrow, but keep in mind the best ice accretion occurs when precip. is lighter.

Has anyone noticed that the steady precip is 1000 miles from here? It will have a tough time getting to our area by midnight unless there is some mechanism by which the atmos becomes saturated prior to the storms arrival...delayed in this case will probably result in denied (good for some I know) as there will be insufficient cold air tomorrow for a daylight ice storm.

I'd appreciate anyone's input.

Not sure if its ice related

TRANSCOM reports the southbound truck lanes of the New Jersey Turnpike at Exit 11 are closed for a police investigation. Southbound car lanes at Exit 11 presently have a 5 mile delay. Use alternate routes if possible.

The 2nd round of precip. likely won't get to NYC by midnight, but around 2-3AM. The HRRR has been doing a very good job on the intensification of the primary low and the progress of the precip, and it suggests the precip. will arrive 1-2 hours ahead of the NAM/GFS.

The heaviest precip. should be from around 8AM to noon tomorrow, but keep in mind the best ice accretion occurs when precip. is lighter.

Yeah. 18z NAM catching on also. At 1am precip is still west of NYC:

nam_namer_012_sim_radar.gif

Guest Patrick

That was expected to happen...however, there is nothing keeping the high in place. Expect it to move East/Northeastward rapidly over the next 12 hours. This was actually well progged by the 12z WRF..the High further to the west becomes the main High... while the original high dissipates. After this westward jump in pressure, the whole thing slides east.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRF_12z/wrfloop.html

latest surface analysis shows that our origional high pressure center that was located just to the north of VT is now over eastern ME and the pressure has fallen to 1030 from an earlier high of 1035. Meanwhile, a much stronger area of high pressure > 1040 mb is advancing eastward and is taking on the "bannana high" look that some models were indicating. High pressure should pretty much stay locked in over southern Canada.

pchg.gif?1296589632473

Archived