• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion

earthlight

Not a ping nor a flake here in midtown (just moderate rain), and oddly enough no accretion even on metal street signs and posts...this rain must be falling through a very warm layer.

Not really odd. Midtown Manhattan street level is probably 3-4 degrees warmer due to UHE.

Away from the city, here at work in Bayside, Ice is accumulating on cars, signs, traffic signals, trees, sidewalks and all the usual places. When sun goes down, streets will start to become icy as well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a ping nor a flake here in midtown (just moderate rain), and oddly enough no accretion even on metal street signs and posts...this rain must be falling through a very warm layer.

I have a coating of ice accretion over the inch of snow I received earlier and on the ground as well here in Southern Brooklyn. The ice is starting to accumulate on tree branches also.

I have a coating of ice accretion over the inch of snow I received earlier and on the ground as well here in Southern Brooklyn. The ice is starting to accumulate on tree branches also.

I would think that if the 1/4 inch of ice verifies in Southern Brooklyn there will be power outages...

Dude I'm confused. Cold Spring Harbor has basically the same latitude as Kings Park or almost Port Jefferson Station.

Yes and cold spring harbor is a coastal town, you really cant go any further north, at least on that particular part of the island. Maybe places like glen head, asharoken and oyster bay cove are a bit further north but thats probably about it.

Yes and cold spring harbor is a coastal town, you really cant go any further north, at least on that particular part of the island. Maybe places like glen head, asharoken and oyster bay cove are a bit further north but thats probably about it.

That's true, but when you get too close to the sound you have a marine influence-- places like Asharoken and Centerport are actually bit milder because of being right up against the Sound. Towns like Miller Place and Mt Sinai actually have a bit of elevation (listed as 150-200 feet asl on wunderground) and that probably helps them cool down faster than their surroundings. When looking at this data, the three things you have to account for are latitude, proximity to a large body of water and elevation.

NAM hour 6 or 18z temps from the 12z run are running 2-4 degrees too warm areawide. Had me at 29 degrees and I am currently 26.4.

Yes and the placement and strength of the High Pressure areas in Canada were incorrectly modeled by the NAM as well as the GFS for this timeframe. When will NAM huggers learn their lesson? The NAM could still verify but again confidence has got to be low.

That's true, but when you get too close to the sound you have a marine influence-- places like Asharoken and Centerport are actually bit milder because of being right up against the Sound. Towns like Miller Place and Mt Sinai actually have a bit of elevation (listed as 150-200 feet asl on wunderground) and that probably helps them cool down faster than their surroundings. When looking at this data, the three things you have to account for are latitude, proximity to a large body of water and elevation.

I agree, I was just pointing out how Cold Spring Harbor is in fact on the north shore and at a decent latitude as well, especially considering how west it is compared to the rest of Suffolk.

True, which is one of the reasons I think my area tends to be a bit colder as well. My elevation is 210 feet according to wunderground, which for LI is pretty good and probably provides a bit of a shield from the marine influence from both the south and the north. Kings Park has some bluffs right on the water that have impressive elevation (for long island) as well.

I agree, I was just pointing out how Cold Spring Harbor is in fact on the north shore and at a decent latitude as well, especially considering how west it is compared to the rest of Suffolk.

I wish they had an elevation figure for CSH, I cant find it on wunderground :( They have Huntington and Huntington Station, as well as Woodbury, and I bet all of those are colder than CSH, because their elevation is anywhere from 200 to 270 feet!

And I think the temps for Miller Place and Mt Sinai might be after right, because the MADIS in East Hills (elevation 299 feet) in Nassau County is down to 24.

True, which is one of the reasons I think my area tends to be a bit colder as well. My elevation is 210 feet according to wunderground, which for LI is pretty good and probably provides a bit of a shield from the marine influence from both the south and the north. Kings Park has some bluffs right on the water that have impressive elevation (for long island) as well.

I agree, that's the other thing I noticed about the stations on wunderground in our area that have the lowest temps is that little extra elevation really helps.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Cold%20Spring%20Harbor,%20New%20York&wuSelect=WEATHER

You can sort these by elevation and then you'll notice the pattern for the ones which are the coldest. East Hills in Nassau being down to 24 also indicates (to me at least) that the data of the colder locations that have elevation is accurate.

I wish they had an elevation figure for CSH, I cant find it on wunderground :( They have Huntington and Huntington Station, as well as Woodbury, and I bet all of those are colder than CSH, because their elevation is anywhere from 200 to 270 feet!

And I think the temps for Miller Place and Mt Sinai might be after right, because the MADIS in East Hills (elevation 299 feet) in Nassau County is down to 24.

Cold spring has elevation. There are many hills that are over 100' overlooking the water. Cold Spring, IMO, is one of the most beautiful places on LI. Rich area with panoramic scenes of the LI sound and Cold Spring Harbor.

I enjoy winter as much as anybody...but all things considered...today is a pretty nasty day. Saw 1/2 inch of snow overnight, than sleet, freezing rain...seems to have tapered...temps have fallen back into the mid-20's.

Cold spring has elevation. There are many hills that are over 100' overlooking the water. Cold Spring, IMO, is one of the most beautiful places on LI. Rich area with panoramic scenes of the LI sound and Cold Spring Harbor.

Never been there :( Two of the best views I've ever gotten of the sound were in Bayside, Queens and Northport in Suffolk County. I'll have to check CSH out.

I'm at work in a meeting with 100+ other folks and everyone's wondering what the roads are like. The sidewalk outside our building is icy (maybe 0.1" ice), here in Kenilworth, Union County. Anyone out there know what the main roads (Parkway, Turnpike, 78, 22, 287, etc.) are like in the Union/Middlesex/Somerset County areas? Would imagine with salt, light precip and traffic and solar insolation that they're just wet, but would love confirmation. Thanks.

Guest Patrick

Not to pee on everyone's cold party, but my temp just went up a degree in the past hour.. from 27 to 28. It is probably just rebounding a bit because i was under that narrow band of slop that moved through earlier; perhaps the cold air draining in has simply kept it from going up even higher than that.

(in Clifton)

Cold air drainage with the low pressure developing offshore. It's weak, but it's there.

Never been there :( Two of the best views I've ever gotten of the sound were in Bayside, Queens and Northport in Suffolk County. I'll have to check CSH out.

Cold Spring is very similar to Northport and Huntington. Great little village right on water.

Very rich area. One of the richest in America.

Not to pee on everyone's cold party, but my temp just went up a degree in the past hour.. from 27 to 28. It is probably just rebounding a bit because i was under that narrow band of slop that moved through earlier; perhaps the cold air draining in has simply kept it from going up even higher than that.

(in Clifton)

Interesting.. the temp here in Montclair went down 2.5 degrees in the last hour (23.6).. Only a few degrees above the nights low now..

I'm at work in a meeting with 100+ other folks and everyone's wondering what the roads are like. The sidewalk outside our building is icy (maybe 0.1" ice), here in Kenilworth, Union County. Anyone out there know what the main roads (Parkway, Turnpike, 78, 22, 287, etc.) are like in the Union/Middlesex/Somerset County areas? Would imagine with salt, light precip and traffic and solar insolation that they're just wet, but would love confirmation. Thanks.

In Warren/Basking Ridge, main roads are just wet, but side roads are covered with ice.

Archived