e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at work in a meeting with 100+ other folks and everyone's wondering what the roads are like. The sidewalk outside our building is icy (maybe 0.1" ice), here in Kenilworth, Union County. Anyone out there know what the main roads (Parkway, Turnpike, 78, 22, 287, etc.) are like in the Union/Middlesex/Somerset County areas? Would imagine with salt, light precip and traffic and solar insolation that they're just wet, but would love confirmation. Thanks.

Drove from C-NJ (Monroe) to EWR and back. Roads mainly wet. Turnpike was fine. Some back roads a bit slushy. Overall not bad temps 28 - 30 the whole ride. Worst area around EWR had some freezing rain/IP.

That's true, but when you get too close to the sound you have a marine influence-- places like Asharoken and Centerport are actually bit milder because of being right up against the Sound. Towns like Miller Place and Mt Sinai actually have a bit of elevation (listed as 150-200 feet asl on wunderground) and that probably helps them cool down faster than their surroundings. When looking at this data, the three things you have to account for are latitude, proximity to a large body of water and elevation.

Miller Place and Mt Sinai are surrounded by a lot more water than points farther west.

I wish they had an elevation figure for CSH, I cant find it on wunderground :( They have Huntington and Huntington Station, as well as Woodbury, and I bet all of those are colder than CSH, because their elevation is anywhere from 200 to 270 feet!

And I think the temps for Miller Place and Mt Sinai might be after right, because the MADIS in East Hills (elevation 299 feet) in Nassau County is down to 24.

A general rule of thumb (assuming no inversions or other special factors) is that temperature will decrease about 3 degrees per thousand feet in saturated air and 5 degrees or so per thousand feet in dry air. On an average day, the difference between sea level and 200 feet is less than 1 degree Fahrenheit.

A general rule of thumb (assuming no inversions or other special factors) is that temperature will decrease about 3 degrees per thousand feet in saturated air and 5 degrees or so per thousand feet in dry air. On an average day, the difference between sea level and 200 feet is less than 1 degree Fahrenheit.

I believe on long island the benefit of elevation has more to do with protection from intruding marine air than from the inherent temperature departures as you go up in height.

I believe on long island the benefit of elevation has more to do with protection from intruding marine air than from the inherent temperature departures as you go up in height.

East Northport is another good example-- 220 feet asl; theyre at 24.9 right now.

Guest stormchaser

Drove from C-NJ (Monroe) to EWR and back. Roads mainly wet. Turnpike was fine. Some back roads a bit slushy. Overall not bad temps 28 - 30 the whole ride. Worst area around EWR had some freezing rain/IP.

Cant attest too much to driving other then what i heard from colleagues being that side roads in ERW/Elizabeth/Union were pretty bad. HOWEVER, with that said be as careful as the hand of God walking around out there, ice IS accreting here in EWR/Union and walking around is DANGEROUS, saw many people twist their ankles, one fall and hit their head pretty badly. BE CAREFUL

I wish they had an elevation figure for CSH, I cant find it on wunderground :( They have Huntington and Huntington Station, as well as Woodbury, and I bet all of those are colder than CSH, because their elevation is anywhere from 200 to 270 feet!

And I think the temps for Miller Place and Mt Sinai might be after right, because the MADIS in East Hills (elevation 299 feet) in Nassau County is down to 24.

CSH has a wide ranging elevation. The hills around the harbor go up to about 200' and just south of the HS, by Lawrence Hill Rd., I believe the elevation is about 280'.

CSH has a wide ranging elevation. The hills around the harbor go up to about 200' and just south of the HS, by Lawrence Hill Rd., I believe the elevation is about 280'.

Sounds about as high as the part of Nassau around East Hills. That whole region was formed by terminal moraines from the last glacial period.

Yes and cold spring harbor is a coastal town, you really cant go any further north, at least on that particular part of the island. Maybe places like glen head, asharoken and oyster bay cove are a bit further north but thats probably about it.

Lloyd Harbor an Lloyd Neck are to the north of the village of CSH.

I would say elevation helps with winds under 10 mph that might be coming from a warm direction. Once winds are sustained over 10 mph there is probably very little if anything our mild elevation here can do for us if the winds are coming from a warm direction.

Elevation can mean a lot in borderline situations; it could be the difference between a few inches of snow and lots of puddles. With stronger winds though, you're right, there'd be more of an even distribution of temps.

That is true, but mostly in that north of the Ronkokoma Morraine has some shielding from the ocean influence. Its subtle, but its real. It matters less along the sound, although if you are within a mile of the sound it makes a difference at times..even at elevation (poor radiation because winds seldom go calm). I think that was one of the issues with the former Strongs Neck coop location (Setauket-Strong). and to a lesser extent Centerport.

We are getting some snizzle here now...thats snow...but its low level junk snow.

Archived