• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Potentially Historic Winter Storm

Hoosier

Hey all. Over from the PHL/NYC forum. I am flying out of Allentown Tues at 6AM and heading to Chicago for meeting downtown. My flight leaves ORD at 7:08 Tues night.

Couple questions:

1. Am I going to be delayed on Tues night heading out of ORD? Seems like the heavy stuff does not start till later.

2. Guess my best bet is to take the Metra?

Get a hotel downtown and enjoy. Meet me for a beer Tuesday afternoon.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to admit Im getting very worried about mixing and stuff. I mean, I could live with a brief period of sleet or whatever. (This is one of those scenarios where I could get 12"-14" of snow and sleet which under any other circumstances would be orgasmic, but this time would be disappointing knowing whats so close). But omg PLEASE not a Jan 26, 1967 type of deal. 4" of sleet/snow and ice while Ann Arbor area gets like 18+ inches of snow. (verbatum temps are much colder with this one than in 1967, but just using the cutoff as reference). Im really worried about any more NW trending. As stebo said, there is no worry at all about this turning into a mild rainstorm. None. Its going to be a crippling winter storm. But i really want ALL snow lol.

Sorry, talking the early stages like past 200 hours.

Do you really expect a model to nail a storm 200+ hours out? EURO had 2 bad runs within hr 160 I would say. Outside of that, it's been the most consistent model, and every model has been trending slowly toward it.

It's done a GREAT job this winter in the central region.

A brief mix with sleet wont be too bad....a lot of sleet will

I think it should be mostly snow or a mix of snow and sleet -- this will be heavy precipitation, possibly accompanied by thunder and lightning, so there should be enough dynamic cooling to overcome a small warm layer aloft.

Yeah and the NAM did well there too once into range.

NAM and another model did have a couple of hiccup runs too with trying to take that surface low across central MI which instead ended up about 75 miles or so to the south along the state line. Once they sniffed out the occlusion/closed off stuff closer to i70 they then made the last minute adjustment.

Ensemble mean much wetter here than the op....which would you guys put more faith in?

Everything is wetter than the GFS for us, by far... GGEM, RGEM, UKMET, SREF... I'd throw out the GFS until we have a damn good reason to do otherwise. The trend toward a more northward-cutting SLP track over AR/MO/IL certainly argues in favor of more QPF here, too.

12z GGEM mix to plain rain here. Track via the p-type plots goes right over LAF. Starting to think we dodge any significant ice storm and may be predominantly "warm" liquid. And FWIW, the mix line peaks into the southern parts of LOT's CWA (IKK, PNT, etc) for a time before flipping back to snow.

Archived