northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Potentially Historic Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all ears Friv, though right now it looks more sleety than icey for here and other places. But the first indicators of 33+ and rain are starting to show themselves for here. Lots to sort out...

some output has 10 inches of sleet here from the nam and gfs from dynamics I guess.

but the models keep the freeze line 75 miles so south of me and we are in the upper 20s to around 30 with 2 inches of qpf.

basically 2006 all over again.

some output has 10 inches of sleet here from the nam and gfs from dynamics I guess.

but the models keep the freeze line 75 miles so south of me and we are in the upper 20s to around 30 with 2 inches of qpf.

basically 2006 all over again.

There is no doubt there are ominous signs for you and some others on here. We need to keep special attention on what the trends become in the next 24 hours. Nature of the beast, but the snow portion of the system will heavily trump the ice/mix part. But I'm interested, so don't hesitate to keep talking about it.

Also, look at the standardized anomalies from the 12z runs of the NAM and GFS (op runs not ensembles). Both models are showing greater than 5 sigma anomalies with the 850 winds. Strong moisture transport northward from the Gulf, coupled with the ridiculous cold conveyor are going to make for efficient precipitation production. Not only that but PWATs are starting to show 2 to 3 sigma anomalies in Kentucky, hinting at the high amount of moisture available to this system.

Seeing these kind of signals should be a red flag that at least near record snowfall will be possible.

euro will have a earth ending ice storm here.

game over.

we are going to be out of power for weeks

We have had our fair share of crippling ice storms in the Southern Plains, and a good rule of thumb to follow is to be prepared for an ice storm, but nothing from here until the storm starts will be "game over." A difference in depth of the cold air by only a few hundred feet can make all the difference between a sleet and freezing rain event. This storm is going to be so dynamic that it will be hard to pinpoint the exact areas of crippling ice until the event gets underway.

Meant to add, not trying to downplay the event at all. It does look ominous.

For those in central IN, 12z GFS soundings look like a relatively short amount of mix to a well above freezing all rain event south of a LAF to MIE line. IND gets to 36º...meanwhile LAF only gets to 26º, MIE 30º. Alas, the warmth is creeping north...

Funny to see the Blizz Watch just a county to your NW.. :lol:

We have had our fair share of crippling ice storms in the Southern Plains, and a good rule of thumb to follow is to be prepared for an ice storm, but nothing from here until the storm starts will be "game over." A difference in depth of the cold air by only a few hundred feet can make all the difference between a sleet and freezing rain event. This storm is going to be so dynamic that it will be hard to pinpoint the exact areas of crippling ice until the event gets underway.

One of the reasons we don't see 2 inches of nice is because the models say ice and sleet ends up falling right next to the SLP track.

so most are spared from horrible ice.

Wow - just amazes me how far north and west this thing is going. I noticed the second system in the Gulf of Mexico later next week is trending north on some data - already. lol Sorry, couldn't resist.

I learned in the 2009 ice storm that one county usually makes all the difference in these events. Graves County, KY had a catastrophic ice storm - one county south said "what ice storm"

It will be extremely difficult to pinpoint the areas of highest ice accumulation.

Most of our ice accumulated with temperatures from 30-32 degrees. We ended up with 1 1/2-2" of ice. Pure ice.

even with the NW shift models have trended colder at the surface..

so now we are looking at upper 20s and 2 inches of rain.

I hope it's sleet.

Archived