• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
95/96 Getting a run for it's money?

Jaguars

There is little doubt in my mind that they can't. There's already another storm threat on the horizon after the clippers and the long range continues to favor more and more storminess. All signs point to another cold and snowy February around here, I think NYC will easily exceed 95-96 totals by the end of February.

I do NOT think we will break 95-96. I had 72" that year. I am about halfway there now.

Most of that 72" came in the great 30" storm on 1/8/96. We need something like that to break the 96 record. Its still a La Nina and even our large storms this year tended to move quickly in the progressive flow. I don't see that stopping unless there is a sudden weakening of the Nina. Still been a very good winter.....maybe because there were lower expectations.

I do NOT think we will break 95-96. I had 72" that year. I am about halfway there now.

Most of that 72" came in the great 30" storm on 1/8/96. We need something like that to break the 96 record. Its still a La Nina and even our large storms this year tended to move quickly in the progressive flow. I don't see that stopping unless there is a sudden weakening of the Nina. Still been a very good winter.....maybe

because there were lower expectations.

1 more mecs or hecs or a few storms would do it.

1 more mecs or hecs or a few storms would do it.

For NYC, possibly, since you had the 20", when I received only 8" out of the same storm. But again, the progressive nature of the storms argues against a HECS or even another MECS.

But this year, anything is possible. Its certainly more reachable for NYC than for my area.

Here's some food for thought for those who think NYC "cant have 100" of snow in a season-- we have had 93" already from Feb 1, 2010 thru today-- and we can actually have over 100" in a 365 day period if we get a couple inches from the clipper and the snowstorm next week pans out, because we didnt get our first big snow in Feb until the 10th! All this with a snowless March 2010!

This of course does not speak to the upcoming pattern, but here's a graph put together by another staff member showing how the two seasons compare:

post-52-0-39914400-1296169121.png

Can we say we have a sort of close match with how this and that winter year time-frame played out? Its not exactly the same but its very close and could be a way of using for the future.

With the 19" they got from this storm, how much does NYC have now?

NYC now has 56.1"; the seasonal record is 75.6"; thus 19.6" is needed to break the record.

19.6" is still a good amount..... certainly more than we'd usually get in a half season, BUT it is also quite possible this season when it seems NOTHING can go wrong for NYC snowfall. We have the entire months of February and March to go.... on average we would expect 10.8" in those two months. This winter season is anything but normal.

I was thinking the same thing. I feel NYC has an good chance of breaking it. BTW this winter is way better because it has stayed cold. During 95/96 it alternated between cold and warm. Most of the snows melted rather quickly back then.

Persistence is a great predictor of future weather even when the LR models want to break down a given pattern. Where the LR mods remain favorable, as now, there is every reason to think this run will continue. I say NNJ/NYC break 95'-96'...perhaps by a wide margin.

The fact that NYC still needs nearly 20" just goes to show you how crazy of a winter 95-96 was.

20" with over 2 months of snow season left doesn't seem like much of a challenge for this winter, but there's still a pretty good chance we could fall short. I'm hoping Feb is another great month so we can make a legit shot at the century mark. The odds have to be at least 2% now after starting the winter off with a .00001% chance lol

The fact that NYC still needs nearly 20" just goes to show you how crazy of a winter 95-96 was.

20" with over 2 months of snow season left doesn't seem like much of a challenge for this winter, but there's still a pretty good chance we could fall short. I'm hoping Feb is another great month so we can make a legit shot at the century mark. The odds have to be at least 2% now after starting the winter off with a .00001% chance lol

we are ahead of what 96 was at this point

Also, to have a great blocking in a strong la Nina is really rare. Another thing that is rare is that the MJO is in phase 8.

Great thought. I started a thread (link) based on this.

As for the OP, yes, I think we pass 1995-6. Given the way the patterns have been lining up a replay of the Boxing Day Blizzard wouldn't shock me at all. After all, it's much easier to get that in February or March.

if we could only get a HECS out of next week's system, then we'd nail it and be in shooting range of exceeding an unprecedented 80"(unprecedented to the extent of when official snowfall records started being kept in 1868). It's also too bad that there's an absence of data for the little ice age.

we still have about four to six weeks left this winter for more storms...The persistent snow cover beats 1995-96 and might rival 1947-48 for most days with deep snow cover...We already had a storm that rivaled the blizzard of 96 and a second storm that was huge also...February 1996 had over 20" of snow and March 13"...

NYC has a decent chance of breaking its all time snowfall record........if central MD can get 90+ inches in a season, then NYC certainly can as well.

Last year, A-L-E-X was contemplating about whether there could be a winter like 09-10, a winter with multiple HECS, but displaced a bit further north.

It seems like that's exactly what is happening this year.

Last year, A-L-E-X was contemplating about whether there could be a winter like 09-10, a winter with multiple HECS, but displaced a bit further north.

It seems like that's exactly what is happening this year.

Blame it (the displacement) on La Niña (I know the opposite of the old tee shirt).

we are ahead of what 96 was at this point

This is true for Central Park. This winter has had 56.1" through January 27th. The most snow to date in any prior winter was 52.1" in 1947-1948. 1904-05 was second and had 40.6" up to this point. 1995-96 was third and only had 39.6" up to this point. 1994 doesn't even rate in the top 20.

Archived