• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Storm FAIL next week

Ji

There are always flukes. Other than that storm (which was nearly warm/wet), my forecast has worked OK.

Other than strong southern jet winters, what other types of winters would that forecast not fit for our area? This is just where we live.

Cold/dry, warm/wet, fluke storm-- near seasonal average. No fluke storm-- way below average.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking at where we are now and the pattern, we probably have one more chance for a snowstorm this winter

You could be right for the wrong reasons. Looking at the main weather forum, the discussions about mid- and long-

range are all over the place. We still have six weeks of intermittent cold air masses. There is some analog talk

about an epic early March. The models can't get these storms correct until 48 hrs.out. Therefore, too much

uncertainty about one snow, no snow or several snows. The one certainty is that we are not having a typical

la nina winter.

verbatim it drops about .25" with the frontrunner in a stripe across n md including dc./balt.. 850 is moving north pretty good while it comes through tho. but i'd guess northern md gets a few inches on this run.

euro looks better than it has for some frontrunning snow tho maybe mainly north of dc mon night into early tues

then torchy for the main event

doesnt really give us much precip with the main storm.. mostly a cold front passage. ~.25+ for most of the area.

This is about the timeframe we have seen other storms this season start to "transform" into something different. The last time it was the increasing importance of the ULL. Perhaps this time we can score some overrunning and then just get dryslotted.

euro keeps shifting the second area of energy out of the sw faster every run. y-day it held till the end of the run, then moved forward like 48 hours last night, now it's ejecting out about 30 hr quicker than last night

This is about the timeframe we have seen other storms this season start to "transform" into something different. The last time it was the increasing importance of the ULL. Perhaps this time we can score some overrunning and then just get dryslotted.

it's possible. tho i think the initial overrunning idea was with more high pressure to the north. that's not been the trend of late. but the euro was previously rather dry or nonexistent on the front end so i guess it's good to have something there now. if the storm goes to our north i doubt we'll get much precip with it.

Hmm....-SN right now. So that's 4 days in a row with snowcover and 3 out of 4 with snow falling from the sky. Nothing can take this away from me. At least until the impending rainstorm washes it all away.

I guess the best case scenario for us is enough cold air for wintry precip with frontend precip (if any) and then have the low track just far enough west to dryslot completely until it reforms to far north for anybody. I can live with this.

Maybe somebody here can answer: Wasn't there a post yesterday, can't remember the thread, where it was stated that a data recon flight was requested and sheduled with the Tues storm in mind? Didn't it also say that this info would first show in the models by 0z and 12z sun? Anybody know? And any guesses why the sudden change in the GGEM?

Maybe somebody here can answer: Wasn't there a post yesterday, can't remember the thread, where it was stated that a data recon flight was requested and sheduled with the Tues storm in mind? Didn't it also say that this info would first show in the models by 0z and 12z sun? Anybody know? And any guesses why the sudden change in the GGEM?

I have no idea about the GGEM change but yes, there was going to be recon flights with new data for the models on Sun. Unfortunately, I think data out front right now is a problem that won't be overcome by any new data from the NW.

Archived