Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at radar/obs I would be VERY surprised if the heavy CCB/Deform precip misses up to the SE. If anything I would be more worried about some of the precip being wasted as rain/sleet at the start. Anything could still happen but I think NW Jersey is probably ok with round #2.

NW NJ will probably just squeeze in on the NW side of the action. Far NW less so. Still best snows probably right up the line of PHI to NYC and 25 miles either side of that line. If I hit 6" I will have varified for mby.

NW NJ will probably just squeeze in on the NW side of the action. Far NW less so. Still best snows probably right up the line of PHI to NYC and 25 miles either side of that line. If I hit 6" I will have varified for mby.

This is my thinking as well. I think from there it will all swing ENE, getting Long Island in on the action. Also, don't be surprised if somewhere North and West of the 78/287 intersection has it's own mini snow band that develops as I have seen that happen many times before with these systems.

The RUC will continue to move that band eastward until it ends up along the coast and over NYC. Don't keep watching it, it will just break your heart.

Probably correct with that assessment and I am aware of it doing that previously. Still nice to have something to grasp. lol Now we can grasp the latest MD which we sit just on the NW edge of.

2" in Ridgefield, Ct. 1 mi. SN- continues.

I think I'm a bit too far north to get the best banding for the longest time but considering how far north this first wave came (up to about 10 mi. north of I-84), the def. band may not be far behind. But PHL-NYC will absolutely rake for a period tonight. Someone down there will get into bands like SNE did on 1/12... upstream radar is a beast!

That said, we have anywhere from 16"-20" on the ground (just like 1996, you can take a cross section of the snow and discern 12/26 snow from the norlun snow to the 1/12 snow then the ice then last Thursday... it's unreal) so if we get 8" - which seems like a good number for up this way - we'd have 2 feet of layer cake with more threats/cold airmasses (that 12Z GFS had Vodka cold) down the road entering FEB.

Take plenty of mental snapshots, my friends. This is a once in 50 year winter for us ... seasonal trends FTW.

2" in Ridgefield, Ct. 1 mi. SN- continues.

I think I'm a bit too far north to get the best banding for the longest time but considering how far north this first wave came (up to about 10 mi. north of I-84), the def. band may not be far behind. But PHL-NYC will absolutely rake for a period tonight. Someone down there will get into bands like SNE did on 1/12... upstream radar is a beast!

That said, we have anywhere from 16"-20" on the ground (just like 1996, you can take a cross section of the snow and discern 12/26 snow from the norlun snow to the 1/12 snow then the ice then last Thursday... it's unreal) so if we get 8" - which seems like a good number for up this way - we'd have 2 feet of layer cake with more threats/cold airmasses (that 12Z GFS had Vodka cold) down the road entering FEB.

Take plenty of mental snapshots, my friends. This is a once in 50 year winter for us ... seasonal trends FTW.

Thats what everyone was saying last year whistle.gif

Anyways, good description of the snowpack. Here I have 17" with snow going back to 12/26 and like you said, been piling it on ever since.

This is my thinking as well. I think from there it will all swing ENE, getting Long Island in on the action. Also, don't be surprised if somewhere North and West of the 78/287 intersection has it's own mini snow band that develops as I have seen that happen many times before with these systems.

I have seen that happen many time before too just not at all with the systems this year so I suspect the same will hold true with this one. Still, for mby, I think I will be close enough to cash in some just not nearly as well as those to my S&E. NW of me it gets more questionable mile by mile.

Any Orange County posters? Anyone else up in this region receive only a dusting thus far?

I was unable to view a radar since early this morning so do not know how the precip shield evolved. Figured it pushed a bit north of expectation and then slid and spread east.

Cornwall here. Just had some stray flakes until about an hour and a half ago. Light snow now with just a dusting.

Any Orange County posters? Anyone else up in this region receive only a dusting thus far?

I was unable to view a radar since early this morning so do not know how the precip shield evolved. Figured it pushed a bit north of expectation and then slid and spread east.

It was pouring snow here about 30 minutes ago, back to light now. A dusting but more meltage than anything so far.

Archived