Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

I will be in this thread all night...so I hope you can learn to love me =)

Check out Clifton point and click:

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 3am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 24. North wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

But damn, you always beat me by one inch....

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 3am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 25. North wind between 13 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Now it's a party.

It's a bit of an old measurement now, but 2.6" here as of 2:30 PM.

Its snowing now...there is a familiar and comfortable old pattern this afternoon. Showery precip with snow when it comes steadier and just some poorly formed flakes / snizzle / tiny ice pellets when it is very light. I can live with that until the main event...although we've been having a decent snow shower for the past 20 minutes and that is better.

We did a little better to your east today, usually you're right in the jackpot

Man, the NAM has tons of ascent that is juxtaposed perfectly with very strong mid level frontogenesis..this could be a really intense band that sets up over SE PA towards Philly and then moves northeast towards New Jersey and New York City. All the signs are there--now we just have to see if it develops as modeled.

front13.png

The 700 mb map, John posted, is practically textbook for heavy frontogenetic forcing as we have seen in multiple Kocin-Uccellini events in the past, (Namely December 26-27th, 2010, February 11-12th, 2006, February 11-12th, 1983, January 7-8, 1996). Someone is going to get hit extremely hard from this snapshot at 700 mb with serious snowfall rates.

The 700 mb map, John posted, is practically textbook for heavy frontogenetic forcing as we have seen in multiple Kocin-Uccellini events in the past, (Namely December 26-27th, 2010, February 11-12th, 2006, February 11-12th, 1983, January 7-8, 1996). Someone is going to get hit extremely hard from this snapshot at 700 mb with serious snowfall rates.

That's actually 800-600mb frontogenic forcing...but you get the point. Very good omega (lift) in the snow growth region especially on the 12z NAM forecast soundings.

Some light precip here. Switching between some snow, sleet, and even freezing drizzle at times. This has allowed the main roadways to clear a bit but side streets are still a mess.

Love this weather so far but driving around everyday it is amazing to see the amount of new potholes that are forming every day. The city really needs to keep up more with them in future years.

They repaved the Van Wyck last May, it can already use re-paving between JFK and Main Street.

Some light precip here. Switching between some snow, sleet, and even freezing drizzle at times. This has allowed the main roadways to clear a bit but side streets are still a mess.

Love this weather so far but driving around everyday it is amazing to see the amount of new potholes that are forming every day. The city really needs to keep up more with them in future years.

They repaved the Van Wyck last May, it can already use re-paving between JFK and Main Street.

Yea I had light sleet for like 10 minutes but large flakes are mixing in already. The potholes btw have gotten way out of control. I look like I'm driving drunk when trying to avoid them.

WILL MENTION NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ACROSS EASTERN

AREAS...BUT DUE TO THE HEAVY WET NATURE OF THE SNOWFALL WHERE THE

STRONGEST WINDS ARE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW SHOULD BE SOMEWHAT

LIMITED. THEREFORE WILL NOT UPGRADE TO BLIZZARD WARNINGS.

This is from NWS Upton...Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wet snow not have anything to do with blizzard criteria? I thought it's only visibility of less 1/4 mi or less and winds of 35 mph for 3 consecutive hours?

Archived