northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC Area January 26-27 Bomb Discussion and OBS Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does the low closing off at 500 mean that the progression of the storm will be any slower?

In this case probably not as the 500 low will keep progessing too but it should keep the SLP from escaping to far east early on. That is capture it keeping it further west prior to the whole thing progressing off to the NE. Still moves through pretty quickly. Closed 500 will help dynamically also.

Guest Patrick

No... The upper level low is about to hit the coast... as soon as that happens, you see the *boom* from green to blue on radar... no worries. Everything on track for a Small-dog-smashing-plastering.

Any concern that the first push of heavy precip into NYC will be rain?

Bright banding probably...

Good sign, most models and SREF members opened it back up a bit later as the vort moves northeastward...if it stays closed off and more organized were in great shape

Yes it will be interesting to see if it remains closed or opens open again in a few hours.

Hasn't been above 29 here all day and im on long island. Currently 27.5

I think you need to calibrate your thermometer. Stick the sensor in ice water sometime. I'll bet it reads around 28 - 29. Then you'll know your adjustment (at least at around the freezing point...I doubt the digital therm inaccuracies are 100% linear).

Guest Patrick

Perhaps the RUC showing 6" per hour in our neck of the woods tonight may actually verify, based on obs...

Really? Wow impressive...I was looking at the SPC meso analysis page and it looked like 850's and 925's were over 0c but upon further inspection.....you're right their getting buried

Getting really dark and windy.:snowman:

that's what happens at night

Beat me to it, lol. Reminds me of George Carlin's old bit as the Hippy Dippy Weather Man: tonight's forecast - dark, continued dark, until the morning, when there will be widespread light...

By the way - anyone know why this site doesn't support replying to multiple posts in a thread format (i.e., why can't I reply to Snow88 and Jason with one click replying to their 2 posts in sequence, making a 3-post sequence and so on?)? Or do I just not know how to do that?

Guest Patrick

Intense lightning show heading north/northeast from DC... Chris Matthews just had a wicked lightning flash amidst a backdrop of heavy snow!

Perhaps the RUC showing 6" per hour in our neck of the woods tonight may actually verify, based on obs...

You won't see 6 inches in 1 hour if you lived for the next hundred years. Name one synoptic storm on the east coast that has produced 6 inch an hour rates. If you can, i'd love to see it. The heaviest I can recall is Feb. 83 that had a couple 5 inch an hour reports in a corridor from Harrisburg Pa to Allentown. Never heard of 6 inches and it won't happen tonight. If it does, God Bless Ya!!!

You won't see 6 inches in 1 hour if you lived for the next hundred years. Name one synoptic storm on the east coast that has produced 6 inch an hour rates. If you can, i'd love to see it. The heaviest I can recall is Feb. 83 that had a couple 5 inch an hour reports in a corridor from Harrisburg Pa to Allentown. Never heard of 6 inches and it won't happen tonight. If it does, God Bless Ya!!!

12/25/02 had 7 inch per hour rates NW of Albany and the March 2001 bust for NYC Keene, NH had 8 inches in one hour...its just very isolated when it does happen.

Beat me to it, lol. Reminds me of George Carlin's old bit as the Hippy Dippy Weather Man: tonight's forecast - dark, continued dark, until the morning, when there will be widespread light...

By the way - anyone know why this site doesn't support replying to multiple posts in a thread format (i.e., why can't I reply to Snow88 and Jason with one click replying to their 2 posts in sequence, making a 3-post sequence and so on?)? Or do I just not know how to do that?

Click multiquote and then add reply.

Guest Patrick

I was not inferring that it has ever happened before IMBY, or I have ever witnessed it. The RUC showed 6 inches in one hour somewhere in the metro tonight. We all had a good chuckle when we saw it.

But when 4" per hour obs are coming in to our south/southwest, and the best dynamics are progged to be over us over the next few hours, it does make it a little less laughable. Outside of LES, or the Sierra, I have never heard of it either.

Archived