joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this for a pathetic WWA and 3-5 inches?

Why would what type of warning/advisory determine your level of enjoyment for the storm? Point is, LWX could be right, but I'm just shocked at how they are handling this. I would have bet money we'd all be under a warning instead of a WWA. Oh well, maybe they'll update at 10 am or so

Woke at 3:39am -33/S/E Fairfax Station to a wet snow dream..... only to go to the window and observe moderate wet snow. Now at 3:51am wet snow has changed to sleet and a occasional freezing rain mix. Did not expect to see any snow at this point. I am surmising that this (sleet/rain) will continue 'till the secondary low can sweep into the area. At this point (I'm thinking 2-4pm) I expect a change over to all snow. This is not seem to be the classic Nor'Easter..excuse me if I'm wrong here. It seems as though we have two separate convection areas that have yet to transfer energy. Doppler indicates rain headed this way (4:10am). Will report back in a few hours. Will be looking for afternoon snow!!

WWAdvisory

Well 3-5 inches is the best we've ever even heard of this winter. I gladly take it.

There's always next year for a WSW.

Too bad we have to waste so much of our QPF on rainfall - but we need the water real bad.

There's always next winter.

To think I laughed at the NWS this morning. I jinxed myself - and I deserve this. I get rain all day long.

Why would what type of warning/advisory determine your level of enjoyment for the storm?

Well, if I posted as much on this forum as I do on others, you would know such a post from the guy with my user name is generally not to be taken as a serious one.

I guess my post was a lot like your question, in a roundabout way.

I dont know if I trust the NWS. These are the same folks that said it was raining when it was clearly snowing at the start of the event. And someone earlier said temps should stay in the 20's? I'm not too sure about that but how did DC get 2-4? Is the storm weaker then expected? Is it warmer now? Thanks guy.

33.1...after picking up about .25/.50 (eyeball) of snow, we went over to sleet then light rain about 3:15-3:30...was primarily light rain until the heavy echos came back over the last 10 mins and now predominately sleet. Looks to go back to light rain with the lighter echos. Road has a covering of snow/sleet and slush. I am sure the main roads in NOVA are good with most temps above 32. Good luck to all and let's get some thundersnow later this afternoon!

Still 33 degrees with primarily sleet, snow and some rain coming down, with a slushy .25 inch already on ground. Roads slushy and a bit dicey in Kingstowne/Franconia area, though salt trucks are hovering on roadsides every couple of miles or so. Is NWS being negligent issuing only a WWA for FfxCo just south of beltway? I know we're borderline criteria, but sounds like this storm might overperform later this afternoon...

Archived