Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 26-27 storm obs/nowcasting/etc

Ian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wait.

This could have been done in the past 2 1/2 hours........

Not only have they been slow in upgrading to warning, but many of their zone forecasts for the region just indicate rain overnight. That's inexcusable based on the 0z temperature profiles which clearly indicated snow and/or sleet. Worse, we've got snow starting to cover the roads across parts of the region and they haven't issued any short term forecast product. Totally asleep at the wheel.

They release it all at once. Zones, maps, warnings, discussion.

I ask again....WHY WAIT?

They have my nigh time forecast as rain......RAIN. It has been evident since WELL before their previous disco that this would not be the case. They need to stop yapping at the coffee machine and get to work.

In Woodbridge VA it started snowing around 220am this morning (Wednesday Jan 26). The forecast was for light rain.

As of 332am I have light snow with large pounding flakes and also some sleet. Temperature is 31 degrees, with DP of 30. Winds are light east but are becoming more ENE with time.

Appears rain/snow line is south of Woodbridge VA. Posters in DCA have also reported all snow early this morning.

I have picked up a half inch to three quarters of an inch of snow on the lawn, sidewalks and roads as well as on car tops. Lawn is white. This is a real surprise, a real overperformer here in N VA where light rain was forecast overnight. NWS needs to put out some warnings pronto. This isn't no rainstorm!

It's snow.

UPDATE

345am NWS may not be as asleep as we thought, because now as of 346am I have light to moderate RAIN after all.

We did pick up a half inch of snow - roads are slick - BUT the precip has gone over to RAIN as of 346am here in Woodbridge. This RAIN may mix with snow or sleet at times but it has changed over to rain. The rain is light to moderate.

Now I feel like a moron - NWS was not so incorrect as I thought LOL.

Think I'll just stick to weenieism from now on aaarrgghh and go enjoy my RAIN after all aaarrgghh DAMN I hate living in northern VA after all with all this damn rain

Archived