Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its their overall structure, spruces tend to have shorter branches that just don't hold the snow the way those long, widespreading white pine branches do. Really easy to break those off. Usually the main trunk survives unscathed.

Spruces are thicker and more conical so the snowpack stays on the outer part of the limbs and can't buildup on the whole branch. White pines are by far the weakest wood in structure and the limbs can accumulate a lot of snow due to the 5 needle pack.

NWS Mt. Holly IMBY went from:

"Around a half inch" to...

"1 to 2 inches" in a SWS to...

"1 to 3 inches" to, most recently...

"2 to 4 inches"...

Looking at the short range models and NAM, I can imagine the current 4-8" for tonight will bust as well.

More than that, looking at the ULL, I have to imagine it will bust bad (well, maybe the 8" part might hold serve...)

A lot of the ones around my parents were wrecked pretty well on Feb 10th last year. A few I know had literally half their branches sheared off....

Yeah same here. One pine tree in my neighbor's yard across the start completely collapsed from all the snow from that storm.

Was pleasantly surprised to wake up to heavy snow here. It's been literally like a whiteout...just pouring snow. Roads must be awful. Can't measure at the moment but looks be a couple of inches already.

Great little pre- main event. BUT - I see no excuse for the way the roads were at 7 AM. Last night we were discussing some of the short term models had 2" in SE PA by 9 AM. I was out on vehicle accident calls and didn't see one salt truck. Roads were a total mess. You could see on radar at 1 AM we were going to get it. Doesn't anyone (highway crews) watch what we do on this forum??????

Looks like about 4" so far here in Worcester, PA. 30 degrees. I am a little surprised to see the next event in Ken, WV. I tought it would be more on the coast down toward VA/NC.

Archived