Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From NCEP:

"There were 8 dropsonde reports along the Mid-Atlantic seaboard in support of winter storm recon...although only 3 were ingested by the NAM. There were also 3 flight level reports around 300 mb.

12Z NAM RAOB recap...

WAL/72402 - Late for NAM."

So essentially, if the 12Z NAM and GFS disagree, go with the GFS.

ill tell you one thing, whoever has eastern white pines in there backyard or on there yard, better watch out. These are the type of snows that just devastate them

A lot of the ones around my parents were wrecked pretty well on Feb 10th last year. A few I know had literally half their branches sheared off....

so looks like folks are getting 2-4" from this morning hit?

Looks that way. Guess I should update my forecast to 6-12"... I'll wait a bit for the "official" on that... I feel really dumb since I figured I'd have today to do a last second update before the storm really got started... :arrowhead:

A lot of the ones around my parents were wrecked pretty well on Feb 10th last year. A few I know had literally half their branches sheared off....

yea its odd, the eastern white pines get hammered. The spruces get hurt to, but not like the pines, must be a weaker wood in general... Anyways here is the new 3z srefs

sref_x24_024s.gif

Just some very light snow now.

so looks like folks are getting 2-4" from this morning hit?

Left after 7am from southern Chester Co and was approaching 2". Here in West Chester now and still some big flakes falling. So, yes I would venture to say further nw (just under 20 mi) from the southern part of the county will measure 4" this morning. Wow.

Looks that way. Guess I should update my forecast to 6-12"... I'll wait a bit for the "official" on that... I feel really dumb since I figured I'd have today to do a last second update before the storm really got started... :arrowhead:

Depending on this next band - we could get 5-6 from round 1 over 4 already.

yea its odd, the eastern white pines get hammered. The spruces get hurt to, but not like the pines, must be a weaker wood in general...

I think its their overall structure, spruces tend to have shorter branches that just don't hold the snow the way those long, widespreading white pine branches do. Really easy to break those off. Usually the main trunk survives unscathed.

ummm... youtube post that please ;)

not sure how accurate the rain / snow mix line is on this

We're still snow in Wilmington. I live in the Talleyville area (a few miles north of wilmington - say halfway to the PA border), and we had probably two inches when I left anout 45 minutes ago, in heavy snow. Route 202 is a complete mess - harrowing drive. Light to moderate snow in downtown right now.

Archived