Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL CWA JAN 26/27 OBS and Discussion Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About to get crushed again by that heavy blob passing through Wilmington, which looks to be on its way into Philly, then Trenton.

Some of that heavy blob passing though New Castle county has huge cottonball flakes, but not all that heavy in snowfall rate. Then it changed to a finer, heavier snowfall, and has since lightened up with some sleet mixed in.

Its a nice idea, but they can't really do that. Releasing and tracking upper air balloons from the ground is done by WFO's and contract offices (not SPC) from stationary stations with a lot of high tech stationary ground equipment. They did send a plane into the Atlantic and released dropsondes... but those are really only an option over the ocean, I believe.

I guess I'm just being a whiner ;)

Model temp profiles just didn't cut it this morning across SNJ. Trying to figure out what's going on upstairs would be a lot easier if we had more to work with than IAD and OKX. I heard there's a lot of people that live in between those two...

My wife just left for work (now that our street was plowed and the snow is light), she got about 2 miles and hit standstill of traffic on Rt. 29, heading into Collegeville, she's turning around and coming home. She said cars hadn't moved in almost 5 minutes heading southbound.

Crazy.

I guess I'm just being a whiner ;)

Model temp profiles just didn't cut it this morning across SNJ. Trying to figure out what's going on upstairs would be a lot easier if we had more to work with than IAD and OKX. I heard there's a lot of people that live in between those two...

Well, besides that, a big problem was that no model we use reliably had anything like 4-6" of snow falling all the way up to Trenton and beyond... epic model failure.

Well, besides that, a big problem was that no model we use reliably had anything like 4-6" of snow falling all the way up to Trenton and beyond... epic model failure.

IIRC, models usually underestimate overrunning , especially in double barrel systems

Archived