joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late January Thread Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Brian beat me

On a serious note that's significantly better than what the 12z euro did for especially the southeast parts. Before jumpin off the ledge remember when reading the Philly thread that they focus on Philly and primarily philly only before maybe tossing out other numbers and how other regions do

Brian beat me

On a serious note that's significantly better than what the 12z euro did for especially the southeast parts. Remember when reading the Philly thread that they focus on Philly and primarily philly only before maybe tossing out other numbers and how other regions do before jumpin off the ledge.

That's because I used some messy rounding -- you're numbers were more exact. :lol:

Decided to throw out a quick prelim map. My thinking for less snow in the Philly region is potential mixing issues for some of the storm.

post-1507-0-67876500-1295939467.png

Alright here is my first call.

You guys seem to be generous in the eastern sections (Schuylkill County). I hope you guys are right. It won't be the crushing CCB that NNJ and NYC get, but at least it would be a decent snowfall. I just wish that Friday's model depictions would have played out and ALL of Central PA would have gotten into this game.

State College boys show LNS with a potential of 6 - 8" with a little mixing then tapering as one goes N & W.

Still no WSW. The good ole "Leave it to dayshift to decide".

Just no love for us peeps down here.

I'm a tad surprised that Chester County is not under the WSW. I've read the Mt. Holly AFD and it seems that Chester County would still be in the banding part. Who knows...things can change.

State College boys show LNS with a potential of 6 - 8" with a little mixing then tapering as one goes N & W.

Still no WSW. The good ole "Leave it to dayshift to decide".

Just no love for us peeps down here.

I'm at a loss here with what State College has in their forecast. Not sure how they can be calling for "1-3" when just about every model is showing a much more significant snow. Even Steve D out of Philly seems like he has gona uber-conservative. Mind-boggling right now with the models trending so well for this area.

I'm at a loss here with what State College has in their forecast. Not sure how they can be calling for "1-3" when just about every model is showing a much more significant snow. Even Steve D out of Philly seems like he has gona uber-conservative. Mind-boggling right now with the models trending so well for this area.

They have time to make adjustments

I know someone told me the other day about the time difference when reading this chart and i guess i'm having a TIA and can't remember...was 13z 9am?

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/cobb_nam/nam_kmdt.dat

During standard time, subtract 5 hours from UTC to get EST. It's 4 hours for daylight savings time. In your example, 13z is 8am right now.

its hard to get big storms back here as you know from your days in state college.

03 / 04 was the winter i had 20+ inches on the ground (most from2-4 / 3-6 / 4-8 type storms) and alot of them..

was the winter we couldnt miss on snow...

but ever since then it has been :axe:

but......winter is not over yet!

UNV got a few 10+ storms and was the bullseye several times.

Here in State College, it hasn't been awful constantly. For example, the second half of 2006-2007 rocked, about late January on - of course, the people focusing on how the first winter sucked during snow events that year was what convinced me that weather geeks can be flat out mentally ill. Last year was decent but what really killed that for us was March - we were well on our way to 60+ inches even with a normal March but winter went bye-bye all of a sudden.

The other thing for us to remember, echoing your last comment, is the fact that it seems that Feb/March are our equivalent of the peak of hurricane season when it comes to shots at big storms. So, we have those two months ahead of us.

Archived