amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pattern Change thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't find a weak Nino that was bad in eastern SNE. I'm sure there will be one some day though...in fact '79-'80 was nearly a weak Nino that really sucked here, but it didn't qualify so the record is still clean.

'69-'70 was a very good winter, but nothing that stands out. Most places were "just" 15-30% above average here and it was very cold too so the snow pack stuck around...it would grade as an A- winter I think in my book.

Boston had over 50" that winter and I think Ray had something int he 70s....we had something in the 70s too.

Wasn't 03-04 a borderline weak Niño (officially positive neutral) that was good for NYC but only mediocre for SNE?

What I'm hoping for is a three-year strong La Niña followed by a couple of weak Niños. That seemed to do the trick with the brutally cold and often snowy winters of 76-77, 77-78, and 78-79. Bank some cold and then spend it.

Wasn't 03-04 a borderline weak Niño (officially positive neutral) that was good for NYC but only mediocre for SNE?

It got close to a Nino in the early fall, but it disintegrated pretty fast after October when it spiked a pretty decent reading IIRC.

SNE tends to really benefit from those -0.7C to -1.0 Ninos on the trimonthly. Those are years like '68-'69, '69-'70, '76-'77, '77-'78 and '04-'05. Whatever the reason, they have been general big winters here.

Still looks like it could be interesting for nne next week, but cold rain for most. Like Will said, the 00z euro ensembles warm, but 12z becomes an ice box again. laugh.gif It looks like the warming at the end of the run is probably due to low pressure moving into New England, but then the cold air looks like it builds behind it across Canada.

You gotta admit that was one sick snow pack that developed here that month...I've post plenty of pics from that same vantage point and none of them come remotely close to that.

What a year that was. Obviously you had a "merely" above average season with like 75" or whatever it was. But pretty awesome. Feb/Mar 2001 is to my area what Feb 1969 was to yours.

Thelocals up here talk about Feb69 with reverence. I am friends with the town road agent who plows town roads. He said fully 5 ft fell in that feb 69 storm and he's never seen anything like it since. Last Jan when for a little while at least, it looked like the retrograder was going to be a big dea,sl he aid the state in a planning meeting told them it would be potentially a multi day storm comparable to Feb 69. He asked me if that was really going to happen. I said "you need to talk to Tip".

This guy loves snow and I had to let him down gently a couple of days later.

The ensembles members for both the GFS and Canadian do show at least 1 if not multiple storm chances from Thanksgiving weekend, on. I know the ensemble mean doesn't really show something verbatim, but I don't expect it to do so, at this time range since it is a smoothed out mean. The fact that members show some storm chances, at least puts the idea on the table. I feel pretty strong that we'll have opportunities through the first weekend of December and probably beyond that. It's obviously a matter of details, because I don't think every storm will be frozen for all.

CAN I HEAR AN, AMEN?

"The path of the righteous weenie is beset on all snow events and by the inequities of the selfish and warminista thoughts of evil energy mets. Blessed is he, who in the name of snow and good will, sheperds the weenies through the dark times of torches. For he is truly his weenie's keeper and the finder of lost weenies. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious snow storms, those who attempt to poison and destroy my snowpack. And you will know I am rev kev, when I lay my weenie upon you."

"The path of the righteous weenie is beset on all snow events and by the inequities of the selfish and warminista thoughts of evil energy mets. Blessed is he, who in the name of snow and good will, sheperds the weenies through the dark times of torches. For he is truly his weenie's keeper and the finder of lost weenies. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious snow storms, those who attempt to poison and destroy my snowpack. And you will know I am rev kev, when I lay my weenie upon you."

:lmao:

Archived