Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threaded the needle at 84.

I cant believe how this year has gone....yesterday it looked like this storm was gonna bury the interior now were back to the ultra-strong low with the ridiculous western gradient to the precipitation. I dont think precip gets much farther west than the western philly burbs and this is a dream track @ 84 just off the coastline :rolleyes:

Just checked soundings. That is snow at KNYC.

Twisterdata says that snow has accumulated at 84 hours frm Philly NW:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2011&model_mm=01&model_dd=23&model_init_hh=12&fhour=84&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

and remember as the low comes up the coast more cold air would likely be drawn into its west side. Going to be a close call, but fun to track

this is from Twister Data and is pretty close to NYC. I used the point and click. That is a snow sounding. Maybe a tick above freezing at surface but notice the winds in the sounding. As the low moved up and east NE winds should keep cold flow into the storm but its all extrapolation and will change.

NAM_218_2011012312_F84_41.0000N_73.5000W.png

Just checked soundings. That is snow in NYC. Also snow at Trenton. Probably mixing issues at Philly, but really close.

Verbatim this run I worry if extrapolated we get mainly grazed to the NW. Suspect it would only come so far north then begin to scoot off more to the NE. Always dangersous to do that extrapolatioin thing and again it is just based verbatim on this run. Still much uncertainty with this.

What happened with that storm??

Rossi

A fugly as hell setup with no cold air really in place...storm tracked over the cities and pounded AVP/ALB and the Catskills...Albany had 13 inches of snow in 3 hours...NYC did have WSWs out earlier in the day on a horrific forecast put out based on 00Z runs which headfaked east...the 06Z runs came in with the 850 line over sussex county

I cant believe how this year has gone....yesterday it looked like this storm was gonna bury the interior now were back to the ultra-strong low with the ridiculous western gradient to the precipitation. I dont think precip gets much farther west than the western philly burbs and this is a dream track @ 84 just off the coastline :rolleyes:

25 mile wide snow shield with this one...mix/rain se of 95 and no precip in E PA...

Really, what is up with these tight north and/or west gradients the past couple years?

Yeah it was before the 12/26 Blizzard....all the models had it OTS but then the GFS brought it back at 12z. In their next update the HPC said through out the GFS because of initialization errors.....by 12z the next day every model had the storm.

Ah, thanks for the info. Ouch!

Snowgoose69 and others, do you forsee NYC and LI getting 13-15 inches of cement and 35 knot winds, for a wet snow blizzard ? NAM latest trend.

Ratios may be 8 to 1 with this, I'm not sure the QPF will be enough even though models might say so right now....I could see 4-8 or 5-10 if we got a track similar to 12/26 which is about what I think we will get.

Archived