Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me preface this by saying what happens IMBY, I really don't care. I'm on the 'bring on spring' bandwagon...lots of seats left at this time.

Looking at the 3 main models out at 12z and knowing the trends of the models and the seasonal ones, you have to expect the models to pull this back west till about 18 hours before the event when they slide east alittle. Watch for them to happen at 0z tonight. The people on the coast need to realize how lucky they have been the past 2 winters and not every storm will bring you a foot of snow. I still believe this is more likely a slop storm for I-95 with more rain along the coast and more snow up through I-81. That kicker might just get involved into the system and make this a strong storm that rides along the coast. A lot to watch the next 24 hours alone and I'm sure we're not done then.

IMO, the 12z GFS may reflect the beginnings of a trend that will bring more significant precipitation farther west.

Comparison of 48-hour Precipitation on the 6z and 12z runs of the GFS:

gfs012320116zand12z.gif

The reasonably consistent ECMWF ensemble mean at 96 hours (1/23/2011 0z run):

ECMWFensemblemean012320110z96hrs.gif

The 12z Nam seemed somewhat in line for a track reasonably close to the aforementioned ensemble mean. The NAM was slower, as was the GFS. Hence, the timing of the storm could be slower than originally indicated.

1/23/2011 12z NAM at 72 hours through 84 hours:

nam0123201112z.gif

IMO, the 12z GFS may reflect the beginnings of a trend that will bring more significant precipitation farther west.

Comparison of 48-hour Precipitation on the 6z and 12z runs of the GFS:

The reasonably consistent ECMWF ensemble mean at 96 hours (1/23/2011 0z run):

The 12z Nam seemed somewhat in line for a track reasonably close to the aforementioned ensemble mean. The NAM was slower, as was the GFS. Hence, the timing of the storm could be slower than originally indicated.

1/23/2011 12z NAM at 72 hours through 84 hours:

Agree Don. Said it a few lines back, there is room for the gfs to come back and still be cold and I think the euro ensemble mean is the way to go right now blended with the gefs.

Ensembles of the GGEM/Euro and GFS have had a track close to the Benchmark for a few days. That's definitely an item to pay attention to, although it's going to take a lot to get heavy snow at the coast this time due to the lack of a really cold air source. But maybe it's possible-it's the coldest time of the year and we have snow cover everywhere. If this were 12/26, I think it would be rain without a doubt.

Ensembles of the GGEM/Euro and GFS have had a track close to the Benchmark for a few days. That's definitely an item to pay attention to, although it's going to take a lot to get heavy snow at the coast this time due to the lack of a really cold air source. But maybe it's possible-it's the coldest time of the year and we have snow cover everywhere. If this were 12/26, I think it would be rain without a doubt.

I'd say the best critical thickness value we may need to be looking at is the1000-700mb 2840 line with this storm. 850 zero line well displaced SE on the GFS run, while 1000-500mb 540 line NW...

Either way, surface temps may still only be marginal along the NJ coast to support mostly snow...even if GFS verified (which still may be biased slightly SE).

Spag. plots show many deep members NW of the OP but do not see any inland solutions. Close to the coast yes, but no apps runners so to speak. Can't wait for the individuals

925 temp charts show ne wind down the coast, which is good. Temps are at or below 0c on the blended mean. The only thing that looks a little warm is the thicknesses but its snow verbatum along the I-95.

Archived