amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the inland runner is becoming less and less likely each model cycle with the further OTS solutions. The 12Z Euro will determine if we can further discount the inland solution from the possibilities. The controlling factor in this set up is how strong high pressure can build out of Canada prior to the storm making the turn in the SE up the coast. Almost impossible to determine at this point of course. I myself would rather see these OTS solutions then the constant inland runner coast hugger over amplified ones. - the high pressure in SE canada is crucial in this set up if you want snow.......

It all depends on where one lives. As the old cliche' goes, one man's trash is another's treasure.

HPC kind of lost some credibility after the "Initialization error fiasco" last month - so you would expect them to be play ing their cards real close to the vest the rest of the winter and not commit to much this far out.....

From HPC. Summation = we dont know

GUIDANCE OFFERS A COMPLICATED SHORT RANGE MESS INTO MIDWEEK WITH

MUCH ABOVE NORMAL FORECAST SPREAD WITH POTENTIAL SRN STREAM STORM

DEVELOPMENT AND ASSOCIATED HEAVY PCPN POTENTIAL OUT FROM THE SERN

US AND UP/OFF THE EAST COAST INTO THU. UNCERTAINTY WITH UPSTREAM

KICKER ENERGY...CONVECTIVE FOCUS...AND NRN STREAM INTERACTION HAS

LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT TIMING AND SUPPRESSION ISSUES WITH THE STORM.

THE OO UTC ECMWF/UKMET/CANADIAN AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE 00 UTC

GFS CONTINUE TO FAVOR A DEEPENING LOW TRACK MORE ON THE WESTWARD

PORTION OF THE ENTIRE SOLUTION ENVELOPE IN STARK CONTRAST TO THE

MORE SUPPRESSED 00 UTC NOGAPS AND 06 UTC GUIDANCE INCLUDING THE

NAM/DGEX AND ESPECIALLY GFS THAT IS LESS PROGRESSIVE WITH BOTH SRN

STREAM KICKER ENERGY AND LEAD LOW DEVELOPMENT. THIS ALLOWS NRN

STREAM FLOW TO BE MORE DOMINANT LEADING TO A FARTHER OFFSHORE

TRACK OF THE STORM. ECMWF ENSEMBLES HAVE BEEN

UNCHARACTERISTICALLY PROGRESSIVE THAN GFS ENSEMBLES ALOFT WITH

ENERGIES MOVING INTO AND OUT FROM THE MEAN EAST-CENTRAL US TROUGH

POSITION ALOFT CONSIDERING THE AMPLITUDE OF MEAN RIDGING CENETERED

OVER WRN NORTH AMERICA. 00 UTC ECMWF ENSEMBLES HAVE TRENDED

SLIGHTLY SLOWER THAN YESTERDAYS 12 UTC RUNS...BUT REMAIN ON THE

ERN PORTION OF THE SOLTUION ENVELOPE. OVERALL...PREFER TO

MAINTAIN HPC CONTINUITY AMID UNCERTAINTY WITH A SOLUTION STILL

PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM A 50-50 BLEND OF THE 00 UTC ECMWF AND

REASONABLY SUPPORTIVE 00 UTC GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN. HOWEVER...ANY OF

THESE SOLUTIONS REMAIN PLAUIBLE IN THIS SENSITIVE FLOW PATTERN AND

WE AWAIT 12 UTC GUIDANCE UPDATED INFO.

Agreed, and truthfully that fiasco was a disaster. It was just unreal to watch it unfold and you could just see it coming.

HPC kind of lost some credibility after the "Initialization error fiasco" last month - so you would expect them to be play ing their cards real close to the vest the rest of the winter and not commit to much this far out.....

Hmmm, I must have missed that. It could have happened when I was on vacation last month and not paying attention to the model guidance.

Hmmm, I must have missed that. It could have happened when I was on vacation last month and not paying attention to the model guidance.

Yeah it was before the 12/26 Blizzard....all the models had it OTS but then the GFS brought it back at 12z. In their next update the HPC said through out the GFS because of initialization errors.....by 12z the next day every model had the storm.

And wrong probably given the fact that no one knows what's going on with this storm. I really hate it when people make statements like "it will be snow to rain," or "it won't snow on the coast," or "the storm will go out to sea." There is no such thing as "it WILL" when it comes to snow forecasting several days out with zero consistency and a lack of consensus. Those are sensational and/or ignorant statements that no one should be giving any attention to.

The same goes with a DT snowfall map being published this early. A snowfall accumulation map is the exact same thing only in graphical wording that says "It will" Many people take that as being gospel.

Yeah it was before the 12/26 Blizzard....all the models had it OTS but then the GFS brought it back at 12z. In their next update the HPC said through out the GFS because of initialization errors.....by 12z the next day every model had the storm.

wasnt just the gfs, i belive the nam did the same and they tossed that to

Although few will give the man credit...he has not changed his forecast for the last 3 days....he predicted the model trends out to sea as is usually the case. The fact is if he is correct with his rain on the coast; snow to rain for the big cities of PHL and NYC and all snow inland he will still get hammered. I see he mentioned this morning his stand on the Christmas storm and that he received abuse for standing his ground based on what he viewed as the meteorology not modelology of the storm...in that case he was correct unlike a MET who indicated he "screwed the pooch" based on a model runs and forecasted storm cancel. This is not a criticism of that MET just that this is not an exact science but all views...even those outside of model support should be respected if there is some science behind the forecast.

I see nothing in JB's current forecast that is as Sundog says below "sensational and/or ignorant" Where is the respect for the fine professional meteorologists who post here and for those who choose not to?? Can we try and show some respect even if you don't like a professionals personality or the fact he chooses not to post here?

Paul

And wrong probably given the fact that no one knows what's going on with this storm. I really hate it when people make statements like "it will be snow to rain," or "it won't snow on the coast," or "the storm will go out to sea." There is no such thing as "it WILL" when it comes to snow forecasting several days out with zero consistency and a lack of consensus. Those are sensational and/or ignorant statements that no one should be giving any attention to.

At 60 hours the NAM has the surface low in the gulf and not on shore. This is crucial for eventual track. Still on the slow boat to china.

This LP is taking the scenic route along the southeast texas coast starting out and looping just offshore to south of mississippi at 60 - where will it make the turn ???

Archived