Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs ens mean is way se... goes from hse to about 75 miles south of the bm

I can't believe that the NAM, GFS, and GEFS trended this way by mistake. New data perhaps, but the trend is there. As I said previously, I have no dog in this fight (San Antonio bound Monday), so I may be more prone to reality than normal. We'll know more in six hours when the 12z runs sample the s/w much better.

up from my nap....

love the signals beyond this time frame, so whatever happens with this system we've got like a one day break and then right back to tracking. i wouldnt expect anything else during such a remarkable winter season but im still in awe of it. driving around the past month or so your mind can wander off as if your at the base of a ski moutain or somewhere in the tug hill plateau. the snowpack is just beautiful.

with that said...i think a ec/gfs compromise is the way to go here. leaves enough wiggle room for forecasters should it be more snow or more rain.

its probably just a 6z fart, but it is interesting all the 6z models trended like that. Maybe it was new or bad data put in, who knows. 12z runs will be interesting, thankfully ill be sleeping for them.

Winning formula:

[12Z | 00Z] runs will be [interesting | telling | crucial | critical].

Honestly, for the coastal folks if this thing misses I doubt anyone is heart broken, this thing even it does go benchmark or just inside needs alot of things right with dynamic cooling etc. to be a snow producer or a big one.

Considering it's a big threat to be partially rain here, I wouldn't mind this storm missing offshore and reloading for the next one. It looks as if we have a nice -EPO/-AO pattern coming for the last days of January into early February, so I'm not too concerned about missing one Nor'easter that isn't an ideal set-up anyway. Both the GFS and the ECM have a good pattern going for the next two weeks with lots of ridging over the American West and up towards AK, polar vortex staying over Canada and supplying some brutal cold.

This storm really slowed up on the 6z runs. That is a good thing because it would allow the new high to come down and establish a cold air source for our storm. What looked like a Tuesday into Wednesday threat is now looking like a Wednesday into Thursday threat. All the models are starting to show the high to the north. Very interesting.

Archived