amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have the text data shortly..but I would say probably 0.6-0.8 falls as snow..it's a tight cutoff and then the CCB develops.

Makes sense more frozen as you go west obviously. It seems like the Euro likes a rain to insane snow scenario. Been awhile since we have seen that around here. If it verifies, it should be a fabulous storm to experience. I like a blend between the Euro-GFS at this time but either scenario can verify just as easily.

you buy it?

It's reminiscent (track/precip type) of a typical Northeast storm to be honest. That being said, this is a pretty extreme solution.

We were using the phrase "threading the needle" early on with this system. This would be an example of a successful attempt. The track along with the proper dynamic influences for a major hit were all pretty much present in this run.

Tombo is correct when he says this is all dynamically driven, something I (to be completely honest) didn't think would be able to overcome the lack of cold air. It's kind of out there, but it puts the thought into the back of my head when I end up making my final call on Tuesday at work (whereas I really hadn't expected a CCB situation to this extent).

im not sure tim, its all dynamics with this storm. We deff waste prob .5-.75 as liquid. Then once the 850s pass its anyones guess...the frz line never gets within 30 miles of the cities lol...so its all dynamically driven

Yeah surface low gets a little too close, especially for Philly. I'd love to know the temps between 850 and the surface. The recent problem we have been running into is the 920mb temp. Anyways, at 72 hours there is still plenty of room for track movement and temp/precip adjustments.

Had the images of the EURO forwarded to me...I practically fainted. If the GFS had a better representation of the QPF field, it would be very similar to the EURO, it is already in terms of position of the LP and temps.

total QPF lines

cumberland, MD to Bloomsburg PA west of Scranton to schenecdity, ny

hangerstown, MD to Carlisle, PA, to Hazleton, to albany, ny

1"

Harrisonburg, VA to Harrisburg, PA to pottsville, PA to Hudson, NY

Culpepper, VA to fredrickr, MD to York, PA to Hamburg, PA to East Stroudsburg, PA to Kingston, NY

manassas, VA to westminster, MD to Lancaster Reading, Allentown, along NW Nj border to New Paltz, NY

blob from Trenton To Easton PA in To Ablout Flemington, NJ back down to Trenton

All of DE 1.5

NYC 1.5

LI 1.5

All of NJ 1.5 (less the small blob of 1.75 outlined above)

I was just thinking that. The same thing happened.

different setup. this time around the 850 low is in a much more favorable position...during xmas 2002 JFK almost got up to 40 degrees with heavy rain...wont get nearly that warm as currently depicted by the gfs/euro

Not as bad a night as I thought was coming for my area. Still a lot could go wrong and I don't like the sharp cutoff but sitting at 1.25" even if it were to go to 1" it wouldn't be that bad. The GGEM is still too wrapped up in my opinion but if it were to move another 50 miles or so to the east, it would look like the euro so possibly it was the right idea.. 0z GFS is starting to shift and move back west so hopefully this is the storm that gets all of us hvy snow. It's been disastrous back here so my guard is still wayyyy up. But I think all can agree, with the exception of the NAM, things are moving in the right direction for inland areas.

Xmas 02' ALL over again.

funny i posted that jan 21....i forgot what model showed something like this but judging by the timestamp it was the 12Z euro on the 21st.

• member.png

November 12, 2010

<br class="clear" style="clear: both; ">

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

december 25 2002 FTW?

Archived