Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL: January 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 4

earthlight

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on twisterdatas snow depth map some snow accumulates before a changeover to rain, and then back to small amount of snow. NJ sees 1-3 snow on the backside.

Those maps are snow depth maps...they are a poor representation of what's happening. The storm vista storm total snowfall maps have 4-8" everywhere with areas of 8-12".

Those maps are snow depth maps...they are a poor representation of what's happening. The storm vista storm total snowfall maps have 4-8" everywhere with areas of 8-12".

Ok...I was taking into account snow already on the ground and thought itd be a good idea of what fell, but good to know...

I think generally if you took all the guidance together, for the big cities of NYC and PHL I could see it beginning as a mix/rain, then over to snow for a 4+ snowstorm...more as you go NW of course.

Ok...I was taking into account snow already on the ground and thought itd be a good idea of what fell, but good to know...

I think generally if you took all the guidance together, for the big cities of NYC and PHL I could see it beginning as a mix/rain, then over to snow for a 4+ snowstorm...more as you go NW of course.

I dont know how accurate the snowmaps off sv are...but the 4-8 falls nw of the city and the city and western LI are in the 8-12

GFS gave a huge nod to the EURO this run, but isnt quite there, so it still looks a little funky, surface features are still a bit off, and precip isnt accurate yet...

When all is said is done if you have a low a la EURO/GFS/UKIE track bombing there might be some rain/mix at the start for a time but it will become a significant snow storm with these depictions. By the 6z/12z we will get a better idea, as by then the GFS will be fully there.

hmm not sure how accurate this map is, but it's showing snow from NYC/EWR west even at hour 72, even though the 0C line is west of the area at that time

Here's a sounding just west of EWR at that timeframe (72 hr)...very borderline and could depend on precipitation intensity but looks to just barely scrape by as a snow sounding.

GFS_3_2011012400_F72_40.5000N_74.5000W.png

Here's a sounding just west of EWR at that timeframe (72 hr)...very borderline and could depend on precipitation intensity but looks to just barely scrape by as a snow sounding.

It definitely helps that the heaviest precip moves in during the evening/overnight, that way we can still see wet snow accumulations even if its slightly above freezing, especially with the frozen ground we will have.

For all of you who have been trash talking the NOGAPS. It had pretty close to the solution now displayed on the GFS for the last 2 runs already. Well here is the 0z NOGAPS now. Same thing exactly, spot on for 3 runs in a row now. It kicked the GFS's behind.

strongly agree

This is eerily similar to the January 08 bust....this time if the low is truly a bomb though the forecast for snow could be issued with more confidence since you'd get the dynamic cooling that event didnt produce.

was that the event where DC/BWI saw heavy snow due to dynamics but it turned out to be mostly rain in NYC because the storm wasn't as strong when it got here? man was the NYC thread on eastern a disaster during that time arrowheadsmiley.png

For all of you who have been trash talking the NOGAPS. It had pretty close to the solution now displayed on the GFS for the last 2 runs already. Well here is the 0z NOGAPS now. Same thing exactly, spot on for 3 runs in a row now. It kicked the GFS's behind.

Its also the very reason that the GFS is still behind and playing catch up. Remember the models southeast bias..It will be slightly more west on the GFS before this is said and done.....

Look at the UK @ 72 for reference how that is snug well to the coast......its actually west of the Nogaps....thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived