Jump to content

rclab

Members
  • Posts

    3,626
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rclab

  1. Perhaps they are practicing for the cold season. As always ......
  2. I believe skierinvermont is also. Although both suggested prep folks are knowledgeable in the extreme, I would probably go to donsutherland, if available. As always......
  3. I wish I could forget. The damn mirrors keep reminding me. As always .....
  4. Even as a jest this delightful proposal might start an intense discussion in the climate change forum or begin another on Artificial Global Cooling. With 20 feet of elevation, a warm ocean a .few blocks away and a raging UHI, I’ll Need a snow howitzer to keep the postage stamp covered. As always.......
  5. Two decades ago, on another forum, that would have been a DT quote. As always ......
  6. “yes ‘n’ how many times can a man turn his head And pretend that he just doesn’t see The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind The answer is blowin’ in the wind” As always .....
  7. No Forky, the silence would be worse. As long as the discussion is civil let it continue and prove its own points. Those of us that have less between the Ears than many of the prime poster benefit by being able to read and appreciate the passion. Even if the saltwater is up to our ankles. Besides it would be like someone telling you to stop trolling which would be sad because when it comes from you it’s fun to reply. Let the talk continue, As always ....
  8. No longer, Anthony, just a spirit. As always .......
  9. It could most certainly hurt to be your avatar in that weather, although you could be Forky’s. As always .....
  10. Thank goodness for the test result. On another note at my age, heritage and regarding the source of your common cold infection, it’s the only part of my carcass, where I can accurately, if not proudly, say mine is bigger than yours. As always
  11. I was handed another find from my hall renovation. Several pages including the back page of the Tuesday, April 28th edition of the New York Daily News, 2 cents. 84 years ago the daily circulation was 1.6 million and Sunday was 2.9 million. Never see those numbers again. I’ve attached six pages including the back page. The pages show a highlight of the stock market still in depression/recovery mode, comics like Moon Mullins and Smitty, baseball articles, including one on the Yankees that mentions a young rookie named Joe DiMaggio. The back page, usually reserved for sports shows a picture of a battle cruiser heading to Panama for what I presume were war games. The winds of war were certainly blowing in 1936 and even a still neutral UnitedStates could feel the chill. As always....
  12. I played softball there also during the same time period. My mom would take me to the playground when I was 4 or 5. Thank goodness the park was on the east side of 7th Avenue or Robert Moses would have destroyed it also. As always ....
  13. A wonderful Video memory. I was living on 75th Street right off 11th Avenue. I was 14 and like you did not have to use sunscreen on my head. The folks, so natural, the decorations, lights on the house. The quadruple headlights on our space age designed cars. A wonderful time. Thank you, as always .......
  14. “Ignorance is Bliss”. What happens when the laughter dies? For a graphic non scientific example you can go to a classic bit performed by the late comic, Lou Costello. No, not “Whose on first”. Instead it’s when Lou, alone, was in a frightening situation and he began laughing. He laughed even while interacting with the danger. His laughter continued but it slowly, with dawning awareness, transitioned into tears. As always ......
  15. For your viewing pleasure Sw. The classifieds, only one showed seasonal room/house rentals in Westchester. Another page housing and acreage ads. An article on the death of Babe Ruth. Movies of that time on another page. Finally my favorite Bohack adds. Tenderloin butts (75 cents a pound) was more than Prime Rib (69 cents a pound) I also remember that part of the tin mans leg, in the movie version of The Wiz, was a Bohack coffee can. Unc, I was hoping to find an A&P ad, haven’t yet. As always....
  16. Unc, if your mom, bless her, was out during the December 1948, 19.7 inc storm, it doesn’t matter, that’s how you got started. As always....
  17. It’s okay, any excuse to put it off is fine with me. I do miss my lost love. She made it look so easy.Seventh grade in 49, you are blessed and my hero. As always ....
  18. IF I find the rental ads, I let you know. As always
  19. For those of who bear the entire responsibility for food purchase, this should bring make one wish there was a time portal to a now defunct 1948 Safeway supermarket. i was amazed (see lower right hand corner) that chicken ai 63 cents a pound was only 2 cents less than sirloin. Post WW2 years and the baby boom ramping up, a time forgotten. As always.....
  20. I was having necessary work done in the halls of my row house. The carpenter came down to my apartment and handed me an assortment of papers dated December 1948 and January 1949. Being over 70 years old their condition was, at best, fragile. The photos below came from the Sunday Daily News, December 26th, 3 cents. I believe today’s Sunday paper is 3 dollars. What caught my eye was two articles which I placed together in the first photo. In the main article the reporter gave a first person description of the over two foot storm that had occurred on that very day, the year before. He compared It to the 19.5 Inch storm that occurred in NYC a week or so before that, saying it’s effect on the city paled compared to the 1947 storm. The small article next to it (Upper right hand corner) relates the bust of a major snow that was forecast for that day. This is probably why the recap of the 1947 event was written. The second photo is a page from the same paper and date highlighting the headlines of 1948. I have no memory of either he 47 or 48 events, as I was 8 montes and 20 months old when they occurred. You never know what you’ll find when you start doing repairs in a time capsule. As always ...
  21. No argument on either LB. The Pharmaceuticals industry needs adult supervision on the severe side. As always ......
  22. Apparently climate change can be added to the topics that should be avoided if a civil discussion is desired. All of us are entitled to our opinions and a respectful listening. I find the ease of generic labeling based on an opinion troubling. If all voices cannot be heard respectfully than we are already living in Mr. Simons World. “Hello darkness my old friend”. As always ....
  23. The city or the threats? As always ......
  24. Great photo. The straws are interesting. I guess they are a safer alternative to the chug a lug. Used in a glass they would certainly curb the incidence of foam beard. As always....
  25. Dickens/Scrooge had his four spirits that led to and ended with a path to redemption. We also have four but they are all horsemen and redemption is not their plan. “-Gray, unhealthy air. A blood red sun. Flakes falling from the sky, coating everything below in a layer of white.. not snow but ash” The above line could have easily been a paraphrase from Dante’s Devine Comedy. Our play will end some day the last sentient being, perhaps named Tonio, will ruefully expire, crying out “The Comedy Is Finished” as always .....
×
×
  • Create New...