• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

hate to say it, but IMO that 11/9-11/11 system was the storm of the season.

absolutely buried mansfield head to toe

I agree with you...although the mid-March system I think may have beat it out with like 20" on top of a good base.  That was my favorite ski day of the season at least...had a powder day "off" from work and free to roam the wilds without a radio or meetings.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, speaking of November snow events... the one storm that I can actually remember whetting my appetite for upslope snow was the November 2003 event.  That was my freshman year at UVM, and this event made me realize the difference between the Champlain Valley and the mountain communities.

November 13-14, 2003... looks like a classic unblocked Froude 1< orographic precipitation event with the heavy snow east of the Spine.  Amazingly, significant upslope snow reached all the way to Brookfield, VT (11") southeast of MPV. 

14Nov2003_snowfall.jpg

.LAMOILLE...
STOWE - 3N                 17.0
EDEN                       14.0
STOWE VILLAGE              10.0
MORRISVILLE                 9.0                    45 MPH
.WASHINGTON COUNTY...
WORCESTER                  15.0
MAD RIVER GLENN            14.0
WARREN                     13.0
MONTPELIER                  8.0                    43 MPH
PLAINFIELD                  7.0
WAITSFIELD                  2.0

The main thing I remember from this event, was sitting in a UVM dorm in Burlington, watching the weatherchannel with other skiers, and seeing MVL and MPV report hour after hour of Heavy Snow 1/4sm visibility, while BTV is showing scattered clouds haha.  We first thought it must be squall line or something, but like 6 hours later nothing changed.  The ASOS at MPV/MVL kept ripping SN+ obs while BTV was seeing breaks in the overcast.  I've went back and looked at the obs on WU, and its pretty funny to compare the three sites.

Anatomy of mountain cumulus on a summer day... it always amazes me how fast this happens around late-morning into early afternoon. 

I would love to take a time-lapse loop of this vantage point, looking south down the Spine, as it goes from cyrstal clear to a few cumulus in like 15 minutes...and then to mostly cloudy over the Spine like an hour later. 

10am... bluebird.

10:30am...ignition.

Noon/12pm...almost turning mostly cloudy over the high terrain while Champlain Valley (to the right of the photo), and interior VT (to the left) is mostly sunny.

82/72F  Timing looks good for C NH, 5-6pm?  Line is starting to produce a ton of lightning in N VT.  I guess it's what happens further down into NY state.  Line looks like it will take its time coming through so hopefully some nice rain totals.  My pond is down to its last foot or two!  Its never gone dry but since we moved the house 2 years ago the grades are all different out back and less water to fill it.  

My Facebook peeps have seen this, but I figure this is interesting for many here.  While hiking over and around the enormous boulders in Huntington Ravine yesterday, I felt occasional cool bursts.  Peering into the crevices between boulders I spotted slabs of ice that are remnants of winter.  :)

attachicon.gificeicebaby.jpg

Cool (literally.)

Reminds me of the spruce-from-boulders area behind the NW shoreline of Deboullie Pond, about 20 miles SW of Fort Kent.  The "cold-air boulders" are those with no air drainage, and though I've seen ice during July 4th week (and actual snow in mid-June), I'm not sure it would hold as late as yesterday.  If following any recent winter, this past would be the one, however.  As a trivia note, researchers from UM-PQI found summered-over ice several yards down into the talus slope below the north-facing cliffs of Gardner Mt, a mile west of the Deboullie site.  They think it might be relict ice from the last glaciation, which I find ultra-cool.

Line looked so impressive on radar but like coastal said nice shelf cloud but other than some light rain and a few bolts of lightning, nothing else. .13" rain total with the line. As its now past seems to be lots more action to my SE.

There are a ton of warnings, but outflow racing ahead of storms. Not sure why so many warnings.

There are a ton of warnings, but outflow racing ahead of storms. Not sure why so many warnings.

Saw that outflow boundary well south of the storms in Maine and knew the real severe threat was cooked. You can still pull isolated gusts out of that set up, but not a widespread deal.

Saw that outflow boundary well south of the storms in Maine and knew the real severe threat was cooked. You can still pull isolated gusts out of that set up, but not a widespread deal.

Leading edge gust front was pretty good. Enough to scramble boaters to shore on the lake.

I finally emptied the rain gauge this morning and found a whopping 2.06" from yesterday's storms.

I knew it was over 1" because it had spilled out of the initial column, but never got around to actually emptying it till this morning.  That's my largest rain event of the season, and couldn't believe when pouring the contents of the outter cylinder out, that it filled up a whole other inch worth of liquid and then some.

I then had to look at CoCoRAHS to see if this was even close to what other places had...and looks like the Stowe Village guy 1 mile away had even more with 2.22" reported.  That was quite the soaker yesterday, and brings the monthly rainfall to 5.34" locally.

Good soaker state wide from the Spine and east.

Archived