SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-9th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best GFS run so far for Iowa.  I would be very happy with a widespread 2-4 inches, even if it's just long duration light to moderate snow.  So far this season I've had four accumulating snow events, including brief heavy snow, but all of them were less than one inch so the open areas began melting almost immediately.  

As mentioned in the other storm thread, one of the concerns with this for folks near/south of the Ohio River is that it could be the next round of significant ice.  Still a lot to figure out and possible that some areas get above freezing but the damage may be done by then.

not too shabby with a decent ratio for a season starter....

and @snowstorms asking about the 12Z euro....it roughly showed 2 to 4 inches in toronto....pending ratios

Good enough i suppose. Yeah temperatures are marginal, so anything is possible at this point in time. If the pattern wasn't so progressive it could have dug deeper and gathered more moisture but again, its still 100+ hours out so anything is possible. 

Thanks! :) 

If there can be a few inches of snow put down with this event the bigger story will become the coldest temps likely since the winter of 2010-2011 in northern IL with the Arctic shot behind it. 850 mb temps approaching or below -20c by early Tues with snow on the ground would likely result in areas away from downtown Chicago well below zero assuming there are no cloud cover issues.

I like the idea that most should cash in on a decent 1-3/2-4" type snow, as mentioned by RCNYILWX this snowfall will help usher in the Arctic blast. The bigger story could potentially be further south though where they do look to cash in on several inches over the duration of the next few events.

KMJioz0.gif

Incredibly cold temperatures being shown for the Ozarks.

Archived