joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-9th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A whopping 0.13" imby off the NAM.  I'm not totally familiar with the terminology, but I believe this what you would classify as a DAB?

1-2" is stat-padding snow.

It's one of those snowfalls where you're like...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xav4ucoY1qdcx64.gif

...yet it still counts towards the seasonal snowfall totals, which if you get enough of this stat-padding snow you MIGHT even eek out an average or above-average snowfall.

EDIT: Is also known as CAB. 

No. DAB means dusting at best. Clearly 0.13" is going to be 1-2", far greater than a dusting at best. I would think DAB is 0.1" or less.

A DAB is anything up to 0.9"

1-2" is stat-padding snow.

It's one of those snowfalls where you're like...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xav4ucoY1qdcx64.gif

...yet it still counts towards the seasonal snowfall totals, which if you get enough of this stat-padding snow you MIGHT even eek out an average or above-average snowfall.

EDIT: Is also known as CAB. 

Got it.  So it goes mood flakes, DAB, CAB, stat-padder, and then finally something worth caring about?

Got it.  So it goes mood flakes, DAB, CAB, stat-padder, and then finally something worth caring about?

All of it is snow and at the end of winter it all adds up, except the traces. I don't get the whole point of people characterizing snowfall types so much. We don't do that to any other type of precipitation.

Mood flakes would be a trace of snow (snowflakes flying in the air).

2-4" puts you into nuisance snow category.

It creates a mess of everything (and lays down a legit blanket of snow), yet you still feel jipped as the snow is not very deep and it didn't last very long or took forever to add up.

It creates a mess of everything (and lays down a legit blanket of snow), yet you still feel jipped as the snow is not very deep and it didn't last very long or took forever to add up.

For motorists, but some of those snows are too enjoyable for us :weenie: s to call a 'nuisance snow'.

Again, subjective, but I'd define 2-4" as moderate snow, not nuisance. lol

Can you cite authority or is that just your opinion?

I figure these loose definitions are largely subjective.

Opinion and just how I see terms used around here (Off the board).

Both are essentially any "insignificant" amount. Once you have enough to cover the grass, which is about an inch, that's the magic threshold.

00z GFS a little lighter on the QPF compared to previous runs.  Looks a little more Euroish to me.  First call for here and the QC is 1-2", but the lower range of that will probably be the norm.

EDIT:  Could be some areas out in central Iowa that could see 2-4".  Hawkeye and DLL may do halfway decent with this thing.

The problem is moderate is an intensity, you could have 18-24 hours of light snow that adds up to that range.  It would be 'moderate snowfall amounts', but just 'moderate snowfall' can be misleading in this case.

In terms of storm total snowfall, to me, 3 to 6 inches (2 is too low) is moderate snowfall, regardless of duration (within reason). I think most will be able to discern the context and realize that it's different than observational intensity.

All of it is snow and at the end of winter it all adds up, except the traces. I don't get the whole point of people characterizing snowfall types so much. We don't do that to any other type of precipitation.

You're right, multiple days of showers is really just the same thing as a flash flood at the end of the summer.

Mood flakes at best for those in MI with this crap and 1-3 in IA/WI per euro.

Areas north of Milwaukee near the lake may well see some decent lake enhancement along with the .15-.25QPF system snows.  The GFS, GEM and LSX WRF have all been hinting at that, and some of the previous Euro runs as well.  I know it's not likely to be a major storm, but probably worthy of an advisory in the highest QPF areas, and what does fall will stick around.

Areas north of Milwaukee near the lake may well see some decent lake enhancement along with the .15-.25QPF system snows.  The GFS, GEM and LSX WRF have all been hinting at that, and some of the previous Euro runs as well.  I know it's not likely to be a major storm, but probably worthy of an advisory in the highest QPF areas, and what does fall will stick around.

Tough call on that with lake enhancement. Ofcourse the further north you are ahead of the system the better the odd's on that side of the lake. On this side all depends on how much moisture will be left after the system passes. Does not look optimal at this point ( everything IS there except moisture ) on this side atleast not till that clipper type system arrives mid week.  Hard to say with this stuff.

Archived