joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 5-6, 2013 Winter Storm

mimillman

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasons why you don't start storm threads for threats that are 120+ hrs out.

Usually best to wait till we are around the 84hr time range. Only exception would be if it is a bomb showing which models tend to pick up better further out vs these weak systems that are supposed to form along a front.

Yes some will hit and verify but more often then not it either vanishes or turns into something totally different.

I also think starting these threads so early in recent years is what has lead to more complaining etc on these forums. ALA too many let downs for stuff that should have never been expected to begin with.

Usually best to wait till we are around the 84hr time range. Only exception would be if it is a bomb showing which models tend to pick up better further out vs these weak systems that are supposed to form along a front.

Yes some will hit and verify but more often then not it either vanishes or turns into something totally different.

I also think starting these threads so early in recent years is what has lead to more complaining etc on these forums. ALA too many let downs for stuff that should have never been expected to begin with.

Yeah...its good to discuss it in the Dec thread or whatever, but even then...it appears we will be in somewhat of a stormy pattern, but at this stage in the game, tracks obviously cant be nailed down, but even dates cant yet either. It would be nice if all get in on the action if indeed there are many waves. 

One thing seems to ring true.  The early December strong baroclinic zone that develops later this week seems unmotivated in producing a  powerful storm system relative to the strength of the BZ.  Seems like a waste of great BZ to me.  Hopefully trends improve going forward.

Yeah I agree, would be a shame not to get something good out of it.

Yes, I agree especially with these marginal events. I had to do a double take when I saw this thread, especially since the OP said there is model consistency, which is far from the truth. Only thing consistent is a system, but there are so many details that are completely up in the air.

We've had threads started from a week+ out in the past (I'm guilty of it).  In general the informal 5 day rule seems fine though perhaps not in a case like this.  At the end of the day it's just a storm thread on a weather board. 

Those week+ ones were obvious that something big was going to happen for someone, even then probably could have waited for it to get to within the 5 day range. This system however, doesn't look like more than a fleeting event for anyone.

All in all, I think area roughly north of 44° N will see a nice swath of snow from this first wave, what the second wave does or the third - who knows. Should know more by Monday evening and when the system works it's way into the upper air network.

All in all, I think area roughly north of 44° N will see a nice swath of snow from this first wave, what the second wave does or the third - who knows. Should know more by Monday evening and when the system works it's way into the upper air network.

Well put. I think it'll be interesting to see how it evolves, especially since there's no written rule that whatever is modeled out 5+ days isn't at all set in stone. There's a lot that can change in the next couple days, as we've seen happen with many storms. So although, yes, it may be that this event is now modeled as a "fleeting event" for a few folks, it could very well change. Or, it won't change. But I just wanted to see some discussion about this particular event. Once again, sorry if it's clutter; it wasn't  my intention.

look at stebo still playing mod...lol

thread is fine but the storm will be a progressive dud.

punt until January this pattern sux

Look at Alek caring about my posts. :wub:

Furthermore the pattern doesn't suck if you can get something to phase, the problem is that has occurred yet, when it does it will yield nicely for a portion of the region. The fact we keep getting these Arctic outbreaks is a good thing, it won't take much to hook into a Southern steam system and get a nice cutter going.

I  don't expect anything out of this one.

Heck, I have been paying so little attention, I haven't looked at a model in about 2 weeks. 

Forecast for Chicago metro, latter part of the week:   Wed: Rain 46/35, Thurs: P Cloudy 40/25  Friday: Mix? 28/12.  Sat: Sunny 24/8. 

TV mets hinted at "Snow showers" for Friday.  That's it, then.

Someone posted it on the Accu weather forums so i borrowed it to post here.

Interesting that they would post from WB. If it's somewhere else other than a forum that would be alright.

LAF, IND, STL, TOL probably have the best shot at snow at this point. Not sure about further NW.

Archived