• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Headed up for a day trip tomorrow....should be excellent conditions up in N NH. They are getting upslope right now actually and hopefully a few inches tonight.

Great views tomorrow with crisp temps. Last day of the season for me most likely.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headed up for a day trip tomorrow....should be excellent conditions up in N NH. They are getting upslope right now actually and hopefully a few inches tonight.

Great views tomorrow with crisp temps. Last day of the season for me most likely.

I can confirm. Skied Wildcat today, it was awesome. Only got about an inch overnight, but it made for a great surface. Zero lines. It was a bit foggy in the morning, then it cleared out, until about 12.30 when a few flurries started. I'm back in Bartlett now, cloudy here but you can see lots of upslope up the notch. 

Unfortunately, this will probably be my last weekend of skiing. Traveling for the next 3 weeks. Which means my condo is available for rent if anyone is interested! http://www.vrbo.com/preview/555806

Will - did you see any of the lenticular clouds near MWN today? Based on the webcams earlier looked like they were on the east side of the presidentials but I couldn't tell for sure.

Yes...Megan actually got a pic of one as were getting ready to leave. They didn't seem to appear until about 3-4pm...as we were leaving. If you notice form my other pics, its cystal clear. (after morning upslope clouds burned off)

10169288_10103691593249419_401757140_n.j

Yes...Megan actually got a pic of one as were getting ready to leave. They didn't seem to appear until about 3-4pm...as we were leaving. If you notice form my other pics, its cystal clear. (after morning upslope clouds burned off)

Nice!

I've only seen them once in my life (out in Lake Tahoe) but they were spectacular to see in person. 

Wow that's really cool, looks like a hat

Yeah...more of a cap cloud which is a specific type of lenticular.

I've gotten some classic lenticulars here before. There was one day that stood out a few years ago where there was probably 10 of them scattered across the sky.

Yeah...more of a cap cloud which is a specific type of lenticular.

I've gotten some classic lenticulars here before. There was one day that stood out a few years ago where there was probably 10 of them scattered across the sky.

Here's one of the lenticulars I saw in California 7 or 8 years ago.

post-40-0-37667100-1396838909_thumb.jpg

Going to be another awesome spring day. 

The spring bump runs are going to be in fine shape...they started softening yesterday but today they'll hit that "classic" stage as its already now up to 34F at both the summit and base at 7am. 

The FourRunner Quad is the only lift worth riding right now, but then again, most of the winter its the lift we ride the most anyway.  7 minute lift ride to over 2,100 vertical feet of rowdy bump runs and tree skiing between every trail.  Its time for some spring skiing.

IMG_2337_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2351_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2338_edited-2.jpg

Going to be another awesome spring day.

The spring bump runs are going to be in fine shape...they started softening yesterday but today they'll hit that "classic" stage as its already now up to 34F at both the summit and base at 7am.

The FourRunner Quad is the only lift worth riding right now, but then again, most of the winter its the lift we ride the most anyway. 7 minute lift ride to over 2,100 vertical feet of rowdy bump runs and tree skiing between every trail. Its time for some spring skiing.

IMG_2337_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2351_edited-2.jpg

Nice, Gondola closed? I see most areas cutting back prepping for closure.The web cams across NNE ski areas this morning are spectacular.

IMG_2338_edited-2.jpg

Yeah Ginxy...Gondi and Big Spruce were done yesterday, unfortunately with full cover and a solid 3-6 foot base, more on snowmaking trails too.

It's a shame the ski business isn't non-profit, because everyone would be open into May. Bolton shut down yesterday and Smugglers Notch Resort is down to 1 lift now.

Lots of western resorts shutting down now with like 100-inch base depths. Tis that time of year.

Awesome amounts of snow left, bluebird skies, temps already near 40F and there are maybe 10 people skiing right now.

Yeah Ginxy...Gondi and Big Spruce were done yesterday, unfortunately with full cover and a solid 3-6 foot base, more on snowmaking trails too.

It's a shame the ski business isn't non-profit, because everyone would be open into May. Bolton shut down yesterday and Smugglers Notch Resort is down to 1 lift now.

Lots of western resorts shutting down now with like 100-inch base depths. Tis that time of year.

Awesome amounts of snow left, bluebird skies, temps already near 40F and there are maybe 10 people skiing right now.

Ugh it's criminal to close with so much snow lol.  I hit Mt. Ellen yesterday for the finale.  All but the very top softened in the sun yesterday and it was a blast... Maybe another 5 degrees warmer and Upper FIS would've been absolutely epic, but just didn't happen.  Somebody is going to have one heck of a day skinning up and lapping it, picnic lunch.  

post-992-0-44444600-1396878444_thumb.jpg

You wonder if at some point, the group-think of the general public will catch up to some of the technology on snow making.

People will stop assuming skiing turns to crap once its March (or even April in many years) and the demand will increase...at least enough to give incentive for ski resorts to stay open a bit longer.

Unfortunately, it isn't uniform though...a 2014 spring isn't the norm so it won't be epic into early April every year. But snow making has improved enough that even in average years, you get some pretty nice conditions late in the year...often much better than the crowded weeks around Christmas/New Years.

You wonder if at some point, the group-think of the general public will catch up to some of the technology on snow making.

People will stop assuming skiing turns to crap once its March (or even April in many years) and the demand will increase...at least enough to give incentive for ski resorts to stay open a bit longer.

Unfortunately, it isn't uniform though...a 2014 spring isn't the norm so it won't be epic into early April every year. But snow making has improved enough that even in average years, you get some pretty nice conditions late in the year...often much better than the crowded weeks around Christmas/New Years.

I think it's attitude over awareness- by mid-March, people are psychologically over the frozen stuff.  Diehard bump skiers are out in force, but the majority of folks are ready to move on.  

Kind of a bummer, because you look at all that snow- the coverage is wall-to-wall and deep.  It only came 1.5 months late this year- some got exasperated with the constant let-downs mid-season, kinda threw in the towel psychologically (I'm in this crowd).

Never going to happen.  It has little to noting to do with that thought process from where I see it.  It has more to do with what's going on in their own backyards.    Not everyone is a die-hard ski/snow lover.  Most are just recreational and go during the times of year that work best.

It is sort of bizarre because I believe the large majority prefers sunny, warm spring turns on melty base than ice cold winter hardpack.  You're right this year will go later than normal, but in general end of March, early April is usually always really good in N. VT.  

Thinking it's the whole association of folks backyards in the lowlands with skiing thing again.  Once they start seeing crocuses and Fenway Park on TV they move on mentally.  And as for the locals, maybe some are just beaten down by the winter after a while. 

Never going to happen.  It has little to noting to do with that thought process from where I see it.  It has more to do with what's going on in their own backyards.    Not everyone is a die-hard ski/snow lover.  Most are just recreational and go during the times of year that work best.

Well that actually is a thought process isn't it?

The archaic mentality of "my backyard is snowless....oh well, skiing must be crappy now."

I agree with radarman that most people prefer good weather when skiing. Those bluebird days in winter where its not too cold are when the mountains are jam-packed. But there is some underlying mentality where a large majority of the market tends to pack it in by March. I find the whole thing interesting.

Not that I am complaining about it. Mid/late March is one of my favorite times to ski for the very reason that you often have some of the best conditions of the entire year while lift lines are at a minimum. I am just curious as to what causes so many to pack it in by March....and if the reason is "because the snow melted in their backyard"....that seems like a really antiquated way of measuring ski conditions.

Well that actually is a thought process isn't it?

The archaic mentality of "my backyard is snowless....oh well, skiing must be crappy now."

I agree with radarman that most people prefer good weather when skiing. Those bluebird days in winter where its not too cold are when the mountains are jam-packed. But there is some underlying mentality where a large majority of the market tends to pack it in by March. I find the whole thing interesting.

Not that I am complaining about it. Mid/late March is one of my favorite times to ski for the very reason that you often have some of the best conditions of the entire year while lift lines are at a minimum. I am just curious as to what causes so many to pack it in by March....and if the reason is "because the snow melted in their backyard"....that seems like a really antiquated way of measuring ski conditions.

I just don't think the majority of people make the leap from A to B.  I think they just don't care.  The weather is nice at home and the interest in skiing done.  It could snow 2' up N and people won't care.

It is sort of bizarre because I believe the large majority prefers sunny, warm spring turns on melty base than ice cold winter hardpack.  You're right this year will go later than normal, but in general end of March, early April is usually always really good in N. VT.  

Thinking it's the whole association of folks backyards in the lowlands with skiing thing again.  Once they start seeing crocuses and Fenway Park on TV they move on mentally.  And as for the locals, maybe some are just beaten down by the winter after a while

This might have more to do with it than thinking skiing is crappy once the snow melts out in their backyard.

The "Ready for spring" mentality could be the driving factor. At any rate, I always thought the whole thing was interesting because most of my best days skiing are in March...I've had epic days of course in mid-winter, but the most reliable bases and depths tend to be a bit later than a lot of the popular ski days in the winter sans February vacation/Presidents Day week.

Really quite ironic because for those who have moved on, those ready for spring and warmth...

Few things make you warmer than turns in corn snow, sun reflecting on your face, reggae music, and the smell of hamburgers cooking on the outdoor grill.  Contrast that with sitting in Fenway... you're likely to freeze your *ss off

Really quite ironic because for those who have moved on, those ready for spring and warmth...

Few things make you warmer than turns in corn snow, sun reflecting on your face, reggae music, and the smell of hamburgers cooking on the outdoor grill.  Contrast that with sitting in Fenway... you're likely to freeze your *ss off

East winds FTL on the coast. :lol:

I would love to get another day in, believe me! Alas, I have yardwork, and spring cleaning galore. One kid has baseball, another has crew, its next to impossible.

Could be a mental thing, but it also could be the fact that now that its a little warmer, there's more on our plate.

Even if the courses here were open, I couldn't golf if I wanted to. ...but it is growing on my mind.

I would love to get another day in, believe me! Alas, I have yardwork, and spring cleaning galore. One kid has baseball, another has crew, its next to impossible.

Could be a mental thing, but it also could be the fact that now that its a little warmer, there's more on our plate.

Even if the courses here were open, I couldn't golf if I wanted to. ...but it is growing on my mind.

Blasphemy! Damn your tongue for even saying that! 

Archived