• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Russia's harshest winter in over 70 years

That part of the world has been in a favorable spot for cold for several winters in a row now. The last overall warm winter for Russia was in 2007-2008. Last year was very mild in December there but they then had a brutally cold January and February. It looks like they will finally get a break though coming up in a week or so with the pattern shifting to milder there.

Last winter was mostly mild in Eastern Europe, but then we had one extremely severe, two-week cold snap near the end of the winter. It affected much of the continent, with Moscow and Minsk getting it really bad-- I think Moscow couldn't crack 0F for days-- and Warsaw and Prague sort of on the outer edge of it. Prague's lowest temp during the cold snap was -8F in the city, if I remember correctly.

Usually when Europe or Russia is super cold, we end up with a zonal pattern.

We're going to save a lot of money on heating costs and snow removal, particularly in and around Washington DC.

2012 was one of the warmest years ever for us. 99 to 1 we start 2013 off the same way - One gigantic leap for the start of a another record warm year, while Russia freezes over something horrific.

We're going to save a lot of money on heating costs and snow removal, particularly in and around Washington DC.

2012 was one of the warmest years ever for us. 99 to 1 we start 2013 off the same way - One gigantic leap for the start of a another record warm year, while Russia freezes over something horrific.

Well, 2013 is on the long range models now and it doesn't look warm here. I haven't checked the weeklies yet...

That part of the world has been in a favorable spot for cold for several winters in a row now. The last overall warm winter for Russia was in 2007-2008. Last year was very mild in December there but they then had a brutally cold January and February. It looks like they will finally get a break though coming up in a week or so with the pattern shifting to milder there.

Yep Russia is the only spot in the world other than parts of the equatorial and southern pacific to average below average the last 3 winters. (Actually half of Russia was above and half below). Western Europe also averaged near average.

Last winter was mostly mild in Eastern Europe, but then we had one extremely severe, two-week cold snap near the end of the winter. It affected much of the continent, with Moscow and Minsk getting it really bad-- I think Moscow couldn't crack 0F for days-- and Warsaw and Prague sort of on the outer edge of it. Prague's lowest temp during the cold snap was -8F in the city, if I remember correctly.

I gather that you hated that cold snap. You headed back over there anytime soon?

The east coast probably has warmed in recent years more than any part of the globe. If you like snow and cold it's the worse place to be especially south of the M/D line.

You don't hear about this in the news. Its cold can't blame it on global warming.

Name the several dozen heatwaves of equal magnitude that have occurred around the world the last 3 years and maybe you have a point. I don't remember hearing about any of those in the news except the one or two strongest.

Also does the OP link not count as a new source?

Name the several dozen heatwaves of equal magnitude that have occurred around the world the last 3 years and maybe you have a point. I don't remember hearing about any of those in the news except the one or two strongest.

Also does the OP link not count as a new source?

well the 2003 heat wave in europe and the 2010 heat wave in Siberia is another. Also the march 2012 "heat" wave in the U.S to name a few....

Well the ideas that we can't get cold anymore aren't correct. The arctic PV is towards the Russian side of the pole, so you're going to get bootleg cold in Canada.

Fairbanks Alaska so far for December is 19F below normal!! Maybe it is the aerosols that are being emitted by the rapid industrialization over there that

is swaying the vortex to that side of the hemisphere? I hope not.

Russia is hogging all my cold air and snow. I am through with being nice! NO MORE mr. nice guy! I hope they all freeze to death!

I dont care about russians, they can choke on vodka and freeze in place.

I want decent cold air in Washington DC for severe snowstorms and I want my frigid jebwalk! I've had it up to here with global warming and temps in the 50s and 60s in January. Summer is bad enough here. We don't need mild weather in January and February to add insult to injury. I am fed the hell up with storm tracks that give us rain! When the storms aren't tracking 400 miles west of DCA, they are tracking right up our collective azzes up the Chesapeake Bay! I am sick to death of this winter already!

This is ALL Russia's fault.

I hope it hits 130 below zero in russia with 100 mph winds to freeze all you greedy bastards to DEATH! You thought the Leningrad siege was bad! You hogged all our cold weather Russia, you hogged that poor vortex to death and you hogged all the major KU snowstorms last century and now you are off to a running start in THIS century too! Russia sucks. Freeze to death biatches. No resupply or nothing! You can eat snow. Hope you enjoy a -50 degree house. You wanted all the Siberian cold - You got it. Shelter in place and slowly freeze to death. I heard the process is horrific. We'll hit the upper 60s in Washington DC and everyone will stroll on the Mall in January with shorts and t-shirts as usual and enjoy a few rounds of golf while barbecuing as we thrill to the improbable: Cheering the Redskins into the Playoffs and possibly even the Superbowl.

I am sick to death of torrential rainfall amid mild temperatures. I am sick to death of some obscure jerkwater dive like moscow getting cold weather and snow and crying about it while I am forced to endure weeks of mild jebwalks in December, January and February. You can take that vortex russia and shove it where the sun don't shine!

Archived