• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
My Winter 2011-12 Forecast

Hi folks, below is a link to my 2011-12 winter forecast. Sorry it was delayed a couple days later than normal this year. Click the slideshow link to see the reasoning.

http://www.examiner....011-12-forecast

Thanks for the forecast and I hope it verifies. Last year, there was a lot of buzz about solar contribution to the winter. Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Thanks for the forecast and I hope it verifies. Last year, there was a lot of buzz about solar contribution to the winter. Any thoughts on this?

Regards

I have read on the solar link to seasonal forecasting, and I think it is naive to not think there is one. I however have not done enough research to include it in my seasonal forecast.

hope you're right Allen

I see the Indian Ocean has been warming of late and now appears to have above normal temps throughout

I recall some discussion fall last year that the warmer than normal Indian Ocean pointed toward a colder than normal winter, or colder than some werethinking, and it turned out cold in the east

any thoughts on the warmer than normal Indian Ocean?

Excellent forecast... matches my thoughts fairly well :)

Could you post your analog years for us? Since you came up with the same pattern as me I'd like to compare my years to what you have.

Sure. Obviously I took bits and pieces of the following years but didnt rely solely on them.

2010-11 ( Although this was a strong La Nina, the Atlantic had similarities, also the expectation for similar strong blocking, -PDO)

1955-56 (Same as with 2010-11, draw back again is that this Nina should be weaker than 55-56)

1970-71 (Main drawback was -AMO)

1950-51 (Could be decent match, but I expect more blocking overall)

1961-62

I looked at others but alot of pattern ideas came from the above.

Sure. Obviously I took bits and pieces of the following years but didnt rely solely on them.

2010-11 ( Although this was a strong La Nina, the Atlantic had similarities, also the expectation for similar strong blocking, -PDO)

1955-56 (Same as with 2010-11, draw back again is that this Nina should be weaker than 55-56)

1961-62

Good deal. 1961-62 actually flew under my radar since it didn't technically qualify as a Nina, but I do see how it would work. Agree with 2010-11 and 1970-71, and while the other two were considered I ended tossing them because of the strength of the Nina during the summer months (I like looking at seasonal trends in addition to the overall value to match up ENSO analogs).

Good deal. 1961-62 actually flew under my radar since it didn't technically qualify as a Nina, but I do see how it would work. Agree with 2010-11 and 1970-71, and while the other two were considered I ended tossing them because of the strength of the Nina during the summer months (I like looking at seasonal trends in addition to the overall value to match up ENSO analogs).

mei values were lower in 1961-62 than 1962-63 which was an official weak nina while 1961-62 was classified neutral...

great write-up! Very clearly presented and logical.

So, it seems nearly every cold winter forecast is banking on the -NAO occurring. To me, the confidense of a cold eastern seaboard jumps tremendously with a -NAO in place. What is the outcome if this does not happen?

great write-up! Very clearly presented and logical.

So, it seems nearly every cold winter forecast is banking on the -NAO occurring. To me, the confidense of a cold eastern seaboard jumps tremendously with a -NAO in place. What is the outcome if this does not happen?

The -PDO/weak/moderate La Nina will likely favor a trough in western Canada and into the NW US, this would likely favor a really warm US if there is no blocking.

1961-62

Nice write-up. I have 1955-56 as one of my main analog years as well. Surprised you have 10-11 and not 08-09, but I do agree the former has more similarities than not to the current global regime (comparable NAO, AMO, and PDO states). If most of us are correct, should be another pretty cold winter nationwide. There seems to be a fairly strong consensus on the Southern tier being warm.You're more bullish on overwhelming cold for all three months than I am.

Should be a good one.

Great to hear you think it will be a good winter in Ontario. The past two winter, while amazing in the US have been duds up here, with 2009-2010 being awful. Do you think 1970-71 could be a strong analog? That year saw a warm October in both Toronto and Ottawa, but turned very snowy come December.

Great to hear you think it will be a good winter in Ontario. The past two winter, while amazing in the US have been duds up here, with 2009-2010 being awful. Do you think 1970-71 could be a strong analog? That year saw a warm October in both Toronto and Ottawa, but turned very snowy come December.

I know you'd like that. We wouldn't down here.

Archived