joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious about something... whatever became of the "Traveler's Advisory" NWS used to issue?

Went the way of the Heavy Snow Warning, I think. Some years ago they simplified the winter precip products. If you look at IEM VTEC, you can see lots of theoretical or defunct advisory products (still waiting for my first Ice Accretion Warning myself).

Went the way of the Heavy Snow Warning, I think. Some years ago they simplified the winter precip products. If you look at IEM VTEC, you can see lots of theoretical or defunct advisory products (still waiting for my first Ice Accretion Warning myself).

That link is bad... there's a short list of abbreviations link but that's it. :(

Can someone from Michigan answer this? I've got tickets to tomorrow nights game in Lansing between OSU and MSU, are the roads going to be drivable you think up there tomorrow?

I-94 was caked with packed snow in a lot of areas this morning. Not sure if the other roads are the same or if it will be any better by tomorrow...but either way it's fine if you have a 4x4, and I managed made it from AA to DTW in my little Seabring albeit with some sliding

New report of almost 10" in Kitchener. ~6" of that must have fallen within the duration of the freezing rain warning that busted with the 2-4" of snow expected. Guess KW over-performed big time.

Pretty much a general bust all around by Environment Canada this time around. Don't really like to rag on them too often but those freezing rain warnings were really a flop...

Sad to see your blizzard warning go down. Did you get to experience anything intense?

Pretty much a general bust all around by Environment Canada this time around. Don't really like to rag on them too often but those freezing rain warnings were really a flop...

Sad to see your blizzard warning go down. Did you get to experience anything intense?

Sad too. Was my first blizzard warning! We had a squall last maybe 2 minutes just before 3pm with extremely low visibility, also not much in the way of heavy blowing snow yet. Just your typical garden variety small plumes every so often.

Looks like the final snowfall at KTOL will end up at 13" of snow. Based on this list of biggest storms since 1900, this will be the #3 biggest snowstorm of all time at Toledo, only behind Feb. 28-Mar. 1, 1900 (22") and Dec. 1-2, 1974 (14"). 

Pretty much all of NWOH is still shut down because of the winds. Country roads don't even exist right now. 

I-94 was caked with packed snow in a lot of areas this morning. Not sure if the other roads are the same or if it will be any better by tomorrow...but either way it's fine if you have a 4x4, and I managed made it from AA to DTW in my little Seabring albeit with some sliding

Well my hope is with a lack of new snow it's drivable. But AppsRunner is right, country roads are essentially impassable, in fact its nearly a whiteout

This is what I see looking out my door right now.

Also, my glove froze to the door handle when I went to go back inside after attempting to dig one of my cars out of the freshly plowed snow.

The distant sun trying to make it through the clouds made for a very arctic-looking sunset tonight as well.

post-7696-0-79896600-1389046914_thumb.jp

First time since 1985 that the Buffalo NWS has issued a Blizzard Warning...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING  SNOW.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 15 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES  TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 35 BELOW.

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING  SNOW.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 15 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES  TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 35 BELOW.

Looks like the LES band will set up just south of the city.

hrrr_t_precip_toronto_16.png

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.

* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING

SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 15 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES

TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM

TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 35 BELOW.

damn dude, you're gonna get so smoked!!

Archived