• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Storm III

Cold Rain

Don't you think this a perfect setup for east of the mountains to get orographic lift and ring out more moisture than being predicted.

992 low in Wilmington . An incredible snowstorm raging in eastern GA and eastern halves of the Carolinas with most of the Carolinas covered. Also the 5h cuts off over the southern Apps. Unbelievably rare setup. But a little smidge east maybe of the previous run Still though , unprecedented.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ratgold.jpg

Now that is FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!! DAMN...my adrenaline is pumping so fast, I will not sleep AAAAGAIN. So are we looking to get snookered in Gaston Cty? Sounds like the 1" QPF totals up and down I-85. Just curious if there is a sharp cutoff, as ground zero looks to be the eastern carolinas (happy for them)!

When it slows down a bit..can anyone confirm how far south the snow line goes in my area...seems close with that low going bananas off P'cola!

You'll be too close to the warm air, I'd think, but after, P'cola could see some flurries, or showers on those nw winds driving in the deep cold. And watch for any impulses riding the stream after the big dog. T

Ok at 108, coastal SC goes to rain and southest NC. then at 114, all SC is back to snow and coastal NC is probably rain or sleet, even edging into areas east of Raleigh on this run, but RDU looks to stay all solid snow probably toward Rocky MT will mix or go over due to strong inflow from Atlantic. The QPF, don't sweat it. Actaully western NC SC and most of GA would be hit hard with snow from the veery begginning I think due to the low going negative just at the right time, which keeps an axis of moderate to hevy snow going from central GA to possibly eastern ATL suburbs right up 85 to the foothills due to the lee trough. I've seen this before, the lee trough or Savannah river trough will be there, you can see it on countless surface maps of storms like this , which enhances snow and allows a deformation zone to die out in the western halves of the Carolinas almost eveyr time to be the very last to lose precip. Saw h this last February as well.

So long as this run is correct, the qpf will go up for ATL and points north and eastweard I think. Obviously the strong surface low will have incredible wind swept snow on its west side, so Raleigh could be looking at a repeat of Jan 2000. LIke I said, I thought this could be a great run with an extreme outcome due to the severe anomalous conditions we have going on.

Archived