• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm III

Cold Rain

Just for anyone on the SC coast/Central SC/Savannah areas etc.. last time Storm got excited last Feb, it happened. Just sayin'.

Storm's not here right now. The cats have had to pick him up off the floor.

I'm just in complete awe of the 00z EURO run tonight. We'll just continue to monitor this, and all of us really need to try to stay grounded right now. Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to analog. March 1980 comes to mind, but aside from that, I really wouldn't know where to begin as least from a research standpoint but what the 00z EURO shows tonight is nothing short of truly epic and what a way to help with the drought conditions with a nice nice blanket of snow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say easily a foot ! Have you ever seen a storm this big that lasted 24 hrs. other than 2000 yuck! that we didn't get hammered? I think I just scared myself ! Maybe I should be concerned. NAH !

What's sup Pilot ? Good to hear from you :thumbsup: I looked at qpf for our area and the euro is spitting out .78 :snowman: don't know ratios but i'd say could be close to a foot ?

this from baroclinic_instability (MET) on the Central forum:

ECM looks real amped. I do know the early GFS solutions were not going to be right, and it is nice to see the GFS trending away from its funky solution. Still though, the ECM has to thread a needle here. There really is no sharp/intense leading S/W ejecting over the Gulf Stream to initiate what the ECM has...a coastline hugging mid-Atlantic nuclear bomb. It is a tough call here. Probability wise, 30% or so ECM verifies exactly as is, maybe another 30% CMC solution verifies crushing New England, 40% glancing blow. It does seem a strong coastal will develop though, whether it is a hit remains to be seen. If tomorrow shows another direct hit by the ECM, then the appropriate authorities along the EC may need to be contacted. If this trough had a sharp leading edge S/W ejecting over the Gulf Stream with the exact same setup, I would go much higher on the probability for a crushing EC blow.

Sry folks after reading 30 pages, this caught My eye

holy crap.. sub 990mb over ILM at 114

All I'm asking @ what ratio's, or are WE looking at a 89 type of event?

Our Local guy is NOW mentioning the "possibility" of SN for us, though everyone here in ILM has this thing tracking well north of us, (like Tenn)...

Just Wondering....

And a additional fact about cloud cover keeping temps down intially... the next day or 2....

TIA

CT

current obs...

43.8 °FOvercast

Windchill:44 °F

Humidity:100%

Dew Point:44 °F

Wind:0.0 mph

Wind Gust:0.0 mph

Pressure:29.99 in (Falling)

Local Long term forcast?

Long term /Friday through Tuesday/...

as of 3 PM Tuesday...main challenges include placement of the

line between a wet Christmas and a white Christmas...and another

round of unseasonably cold weather early next week.

Latest GFS and European model (ecmwf) not really in agreement on low tracks for

Saturday. GFS brings a weak low overhead Saturday and spins it up

off Hatteras Sat night. European model (ecmwf) is slower and farther

south/offshore. At this point timing discrepancies lower my

confidence enough to limit probability of precipitation to high chance. Will lean toward a

GFS solution for now...which keeps it just warm enough for all

rain...and lets the drying win The Race against cold air Sat

night...so no changeover is forecast at this time.

However...confidence is low and this forecast should be monitored

closely over the coming days...as a shift toward the European model (ecmwf) track

could put some of the ilm County Warning Area under the gun for wintry precipitation.

Dry Arctic high builds in starting Sat night/sun...with temperatures well

below normal for the first part of next week. Sunday and Monday it

will be a struggle to crack 40...and lows each of those nights

will dip close to 20.

I would say easily a foot ! Have you ever seen a storm this big that lasted 24 hrs. other than 2000 yuck! that we didn't get hammered? I think I just scared myself ! Maybe I should be concerned. NAH !

Just hope it holds, long ways to go till Saturday. I doubt it can have this good a run straight thru till storm time ? Bout bed time. lol

Sry folks after reading 30 pages, this caught My eye

All I'm asking @ what ratio's, or are WE looking at a 89 type of event?

Our Local guy is NOW mentioning the "possibility" of SN for us, though everyone here in ILM has this thing tracking well north of us, (like Tenn)...

Just Wondering....

And a additional fact about cloud cover keeping temps down intially... the next day or 2....

TIA

CT

current obs...

43.8 °FOvercast

Windchill:44 °F

Humidity:100%

Dew Point:44 °F

Wind Gust:0.0 mph

Pressure:29.99 in (Falling)

You'll get wraparound snow.. and probably a significant amount of it if this is the case. This is well west of the 89 scenario.

I'm just in complete awe of the 00z EURO run tonight. We'll just continue to monitor this, and all of us really need to try to stay grounded right now. Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to analog. March 1980 comes to mind, but aside from that, I really wouldn't know where to begin as least from a research standpoint but what the 00z EURO shows tonight is nothing short of truly epic and what a way to help with the drought conditions with a nice nice blanket of snow.

Is the snowstorm that happened back in Feb. 1973 close to this? At least for SC anyways.

The only thing I can think of that brought those kinds of numbers was Feb 1973.

OMFG DUDE, I HAVE TO GO AND CHANGE MY SHORTS!

I really have to tell myself the chances of TWO MAJOR SNOWSTORMS in the same calendar (in back to back winters) in this region is so remote, I can't even fathom just how consistent the EURO continues to hold course. I really hope I can find some time to study this but unlikely I'll find too many matches for this scenario.

Check out this particular link, Storms....

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/papers/NOAATECHEDSNCC2free.pdf

HPC siding with ECMWF for preliminary forecast discussion

...SHORTWAVE SWINGING INTO THE SOUTHWEST DAY 1...PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: 00Z/22 ECMWFTHE NAM TIMING OF THIS WAVE IS CLOSE TO THE ECMWF...WITH SLIGHTLYLESS AMPLITUDE BY THE TIME IT REACHES LOUISIANA BY THE END OF THEPERIOD. THE GFS AND GEM GLOBAL BEGIN TO PULL AHEAD OF THE NAM ANDECMWF LATE DAY 3 ALONG THE GULF COAST...WITH THE GFS SHOWING LESSAMPLITUDE LIKE THE NAM. THE UKMET CONTINUES TO BE ON THESLOW...SUPPRESSED SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE...A BIAS OF THE MODEL. THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF TRENDING WITH THE SHORTWAVE OVER THE PASTSEVERAL MODEL CYCLES...WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE ECMWF. THE ECMWFHAS BEEN CONSISTENT FOR THREE RUNS IN A ROW...AND WAS ALSO THEFIRST MODEL TO BREAK TOWARD A SLOWER...MORE SUPPRESSED SOLUTION. WILL CONTINUE TO RELY ON IT.

A Pennsylvania meteorologist on Accuweather Board says this this morning:

"Roughly follow I95 through NC. Everything West is all snow (with right along I95 having some precip issues) and East is heavy rain to heavy snow.

2" worth.

The state is just decimated. If this run would verify...I'm not positive of top NC snow storms but I imagine this would make the top 2. Just an historic Southern Mid Atlantic storm."

Archived