joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
State of the snowpack

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eyeballing around the neighborhood, today I'm calling it down to a trace based on percentage cover, but its close. It is sort of a white St Patrick's Day. There is still lots of snow around:

20150317SnowCover-002e1s800.jpg

20150317SnowCover-003e1s800.jpg

That's amazing. There is zero natural snow on the south shore and hasn't been any in a long long time. Even my big pile in the shade which was about 6' a couple weeks ago is about 2' now.

Amazing what shade does. My entire property is fairly shady and I have 6-8" on just about the entire property.  People across the street, in full sun, have almost no snow left.  I love having a shady property for this reason and it also means my back deck is almost never in full sun in the summer (only from about 11 am to 2 pm), meaning I can actually enjoy being outside when it's warm or even close to hot.  

Lots of melting the last 5 days.  Down to 1-2" on 75% of my property, with bare ground rearing its ugly head, especially where I had walked around and done snow angels, lol.  Should survive one more day, as tomorrow will be cold, but likely gone on Thursday (I consider "gone" to be less than half of my property covered with at least 1" of snow).  Which is why I need fresh snow on Friday.  :)

OKX updates Central Park seasonal snowfall total

NOUS41 KOKX 241456

PNSOKX

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-

252300-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1056 AM EDT TUE MAR 24 2015

...INCREASES TO SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AT CENTRAL PARK...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PERFORMED AN ANALYSIS OF SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS THAT FELL AND WERE MEASURED AT CENTRAL PARK EARLIER THIS

YEAR.

THREE SPECIFIC SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AT CENTRAL PARK WERE LESS THAN

SURROUNDING OBSERVATIONS. BASED ON THESE FINDINGS...AN ANALYSIS WAS

PERFORMED THAT MADE USE OF SURROUNDING OBSERVATIONS...SNOW TO LIQUID

RATIOS AND RADAR DATA FOR ALL THESE EVENTS.

THE RESULTS OF THESE ANALYSIS WERE TO INCREASE THE DAILY SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS AT CENTRAL PARK ON THE FOLLOWING DAYS...

1/6/2015 FROM 0.5 TO 1.0 INCH...AN INCREASE OF 0.5 INCHES.

1/24/2015 FROM 2.5 TO 3.6 INCHES...AN INCREASE OF 1.1 INCHES.

2/2/2015 FROM 3.3 TO 5.0 INCHES...AN INCREASE OF 1.7 INCHES.

THIS IS AN INCREASE OF 3.3 INCHES...WHICH BRINGS THE TOTAL SEASONAL

SNOWFALL AT CENTRAL PARK TO 50.3 INCHES.

THESE ADJUSTMENTS WERE MADE TO THE CLIMATE DATABASE FOR CENTRAL PARK

AND REPRESENTS A BETTER FIT TO THE GRADIENT BETWEEN THE SURROUNDING

OBSERVATIONS FOR THESE RESPECTIVE WINTER EVENTS.

$$

Persistent pack in the woods right now.  There are some open areas but there is more fully covered rather than spotty.  Anything south facing is cooked but north, west and due east are complete with ESE being spotty.  Depth ranges from thin cover to as much as 8" in drifted and sheltered areas.  

The half inch coating this morning was gorgeous but had an evil side, it was hiding the water ice and made riding and walking sketchy.

And that's a wrap.  This morning (4/3) was the first morning since January 23 that I awoke to no snow on the ground.  There are still some patches, but you've got to look around some to find them.  Yesterday morning there were still fairly significant patches visible out the front and back (i.e., a trace).

I may go hunt around and see what's left in the woods over the weekend since it is unusual that some old snow remains into April.

And that's a wrap.  This morning (4/3) was the first morning since January 23 that I awoke to no snow on the ground.  There are still some patches, but you've got to look around some to find them.  Yesterday morning there were still fairly significant patches visible out the front and back (i.e., a trace).

I may go hunt around and see what's left in the woods over the weekend since it is unusual that some old snow remains into April.

Same for me.  I've found it interesting this winter that you and I have had similar packs and obs of the pack.

Drove west this morning along North Country Rd in Wading River...there are some relatively steep north facing slopes that have 10%-15% snow cover still, but that's about it around here.  Even the larger plow piles are kaput.    Wish it was October and we were descending into winter again!

Archived