• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

As often occurs in these situations, collaboration between the NYC and Philly NWS offices could be better. No way that Staten Island, to my east and Union County, to my north, can have 2-4" and 4-6", respectively, while adjacent northern Middlesex County has 1-2" for most and 2-4" for the far NW part of the county.

It's also rare that Trenton and Philly do better than Edison, when it's not a storm that's suppressed to our south, i.e., when the total precip is about the same, implying that there will be more rain in Edison.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

Great to see you back for another winter storm!

I like 2-4 for us along the 95 area…..think the bigger totals 4-8 starts around MMU 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the AO was -2.5 about a week ago and sometimes storms come around the ao minimum...it could be another year where the ao isn't the driver...temperatures are starting out pretty high for the beginning of the storm...Nov. 1955 is the first snowfall I remember a little bit about...what I remember about it was it was a wet snow...0.38" of water equivalent and 1" of snow...temperatures were in the 30's...it could be a quicker, drier, colder event...if so 1-4" in the city can still happen....Time will tell...

Unc. 

I would have been 8 years old. If the storm started or was progressing in the evening then it's the one i remember. I was with my parents on 86th st between 4th and 5th Ave.. The old time over side walk only Christmas lights were still unlit. I remember watching the snow by looking up to the street light. No accumulation at that time. I have no memeory of much therafter. I'm curious of the day of the week you have tha paticular event taking place.

Again Unc., thanks for the memory jog. 

Rich

Trend has been east since yesterday. We still have a full day of model watching, any further east and things will get dicey.

Huh?...most models had this storm Far East outside the benchmark, the euro and ukie were western outliers... The models came "west" as the euro and ukie went east, most converging in agreement in a benchmark run which has held most of the day.. I would not personally consider any of these runs " trending"

Wrong, that far east and we'll miss heavier precip rates. BM track and stronger storm will produce the results desired for the coast and that includes dynamic cooling

Models are now converging on a further east track and weaker storm. I actually would have rather take my chances with a stronger storm with dynamics then a weaker storm.

Wrong, that far east and we'll miss heavier precip rates. BM track and stronger storm will produce the results desired for the coast and that includes dynamic cooling

Current models are showing a benchmark track which currently is not conducive to what I would call a really nice hit for "coastal areas"... Unless your assuming that dynamic cooling is being missed by most models I'm not sure how u could think a further east track isn't better for city

Further east does not automatically equate to more snow for the coast weak rates won't cool the boundary layer

But it does mean that the 850mb and 700mb lows maybe slightly more east with possibly less taint in the mid levels. 

Just inferencing. I haven't actually checked the difference between the mid level lows on the SREFs.

Further east does not automatically equate to more snow for the coast weak rates won't cool the boundary layer

Weaker rates? 50-100 miles inland are going to see outstanding rates... So why would you be loosing those rates with a slightly eastern track, I'm not saying it's ideal I'm just saying it's better than the current model setup imo

Ok think we are in agreement now on how thread the needle this is for the coast.

What we really need is the weakening trend to stop.

What we do have going for us is the wonders of a juicy miller a. There will be plenty of moisture to work with it's getting that moisture wrapped back into the met area that we want a stronger system for.

I do not think anyone can make a real detailed coastal forecast until this event is well under way and we know exactly where banding sets up

Archived