joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct.-Nov Pattern Discussion

jaxjagman

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping it's not too bad heading over Sam's Gap Saturday morning. I guess there are worse things than getting caught in a driving snowstorm on November 1st, right? Has anyone heard from Carver's? I figured he'd be all over this early season fun.

Have a safe trip! May have some white knuckle driving after you pass Erwin. Bring the Vols some good luck! 

Hoping it's not too bad heading over Sam's Gap Saturday morning. I guess there are worse things than getting caught in a driving snowstorm on November 1st, right? Has anyone heard from Carver's? I figured he'd be all over this early season fun.

Hey, you all. Been working like 55-60 hour weeks. Been checking in and reading comments. Plus, was on vacation in Florida last week. Anyway, just basically been reading Alan Huffman's, WxRisk's, and WxSouth's social media pages. They pretty much nail it. I think this is a mountain event with an outside shot at an inch in the northern valley. That said, if it switches early it could be fun...well, minus the fact the trees still have leaves.

edit:  You wouldn't be making the trip to Columbia, heh?

Good to see you Carvers, hope you can slow down as we head into winter. Looks like we should have plenty to track.

Definitely will be around from here on out...This threat is early.  I usually don't have to juggle football season and my snowstorm hobby at the same time.  LOL.  Will be interesting to see the 0z models tonight.  I think the trend will tell the tale.  Climo argues against Valley snows, so I take anything at this time of year as strictly "bonus snow."  Might trek on up to Roan Mtn on Saturday - the State Park if it does snow.  I am looking forward to winter - whatever it may hold. 

Hmm...I have tried to ignore the potential as long as I can.  Climo just argues against this, but MRX may force me to listen.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
901 PM EDT THU OCT 30 2014

.DISCUSSION...THE LATEST MODEL RUNS OF THE NAM...GFS AND ECMWF
BRINGS UPPER LOW LATE FRIDAY...FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY A LITTLE
FARTHER WEST. HONESTLY...I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STRONG UPPER LEVEL
DROP NEARLY DUE SOUTH FROM THE GREAT LAKES INTO THE SOUTHERN
APPALACHIANS. VERY UN-COMMON.
THE FARTHER WEST TRACK BRINGS THE
COLDER UPPER LEVEL AIR (NEAR -30C AT 500MB) DIRECTLY OVER THE
REGION WITH BETTER DYNAMICS. DECIDED TO ISSUE A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY INTO THE TRI-CITIES AREA. MAIN QUESTION REMAINS...HOW
MUCH WILL THE SNOW STICK? SINCE THE SNOW WILL BE FALLING DURING THE
NIGHT-TIME AND MORNING HOURS...THERE MAY BE A LITTLE BETTER CHANCE
OF THE SNOW STICKING ON GRASSY SURFACES ACROSS THE TRI-CITIES.
STILL THINK THE ROADWAYS SHOULD BE GOOD GIVEN THE WARMTH OF THE
GROUND.

IF THIS SYSTEM OCCURRED DURING JANUARY...WOULD HAVE BEEN A MUCH
DIFFERENT SNOW POTENTIAL. HAVE MADE SOME MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO
SNOW AMOUNTS AS WELL.

FOR TONIGHT...AN AREA OF MID-LEVEL CLOUDS OVER WESTERN TENNESSEE
WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE EVER-SO SLOWLY INTO THE AREA AND HAVE CHANGED
SKY FORECAST WORDING FOR TONIGHT.

WILL HAVE NEW ZFP AND WINTER WEATHER PRODUCTS OUT SOON.

Promise not to gum-up the thread past this post...0z NAM looks drier in the northern Valley. Probably is sensing downsloping, rightfully so. Mountains are just going to get plastered.

Your right the 0z NAM cut down on snowfall and QPF by about half of the 18z run.

There has to be some surprises with this rare system. Time of day should help a lot even with the warm ground.

Your right the 0z NAM cut down on snowfall and QPF by about half of the 18z run.

There has to be some surprises with this rare system. Time of day should help a lot even with the warm ground.

SREF plus keep 'inching' up for TYS. This is quite remarkable. Are you seeing the latest 2" mean with a 6.5" outlier? Or are my eyes deceiving me.

From the MRX AFD.

Love the heavy snow wording.

STRONG SPEED MAX DIGS SE THROUGH THE W TN VALLEY TONIGHT. UPPER LOW
WITH VERY COLD CORE SLIDES THROUGH THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. COLD
AIR ADVECTION VERY STRONG BEGINNING LATER TODAY. FREEZING LEVEL
FALLS TO BELOW 1500 FEET EARLY TONIGHT. LITTLE QUESTION AS TO
PRECIPITATION TYPE WITH THE WARM LAYER BECOMING SO SHALLOW. MODERATE
TO HEAVY SNOWFALL EXPECTED TONIGHT ACROSS AREAS NORTH OF KNOXVILLE
FAVORING THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. THE SYNOPTIC SNOWFALLS SHOULD TAPER
OFF EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON WITH UPSLOPE SHOWERS CONTINUING IN THE
MOUNTAINS. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE VARIED ACROSS THE VALLEYS
BUT CONFIDENCE IS HIGH IN THE MOUNTAINS. WIDESPREAD FREEZING
TEMPERATURES SUNDAY MORNING.

Wow I've been following this from a distance guys and really really wish I was back at home. Unfortunately for me, I'm in D.C. This weekend. That figures, the time I get to see one of the earliest snowfalls on record and I'll be gone. I can hardly believe the graphic MRX has posted this morning. Looks like they may have to put Knoxville N and E into the advisory too if those numbers are to be believed. That graphic has me in the 3-4in range!!! Incredible for late October. Y'all enjoy it and post lots of pictures for me.

SREF plus keep 'inching' up for TYS. This is quite remarkable. Are you seeing the latest 2" mean with a 6.5" outlier? Or are my eyes deceiving me.

Dang I missed this post. Yeah you were right. The 21z run had a mean just above 2" and the outlier with 6.5". But now the mean on the 3z run is 1.30 with an outlier of 3".

post-6441-141475948122.jpg

The mean was really the same for KTRI with just above 3".

6z NAM meteogram had a whopping 7" at KTRI and 1.5" at KTYS.

I am having a hard time believing the NWS graphic out of the Morristown NWS for this system.  Giving all of Washington County TN 4-6 inches.  I just don't see it.  I really think the mountains will do well, but if I had to guess I'd go with 1-2 for the valley locations in and around Washington County, less than that just northwest in the valley.

I am having a hard time believing the NWS graphic out of the Morristown NWS for this system. Giving all of Washington County TN 4-6 inches. I just don't see it. I really think the mountains will do well, but if I had to guess I'd go with 1-2 for the valley locations in and around Washington County, less than that just northwest in the valley.

The graphic MRX put out this morning is a whole lot different.

post-6441-141477819379.jpg

Not getting too many trick or treaters so far this year with these rain squalls. I'm planning a trip up the skyway tomorrow for some fun in the snow. I'm expecting 4-5 inches at the top near the NC state line. TDOT is permitted to use roadway salt on the skyway, so it remains open during events that normally result in highway 441 being closed. No salt can be used for road treatment on 441 in the national park.

Archived