joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct.-Nov Pattern Discussion

jaxjagman

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, check out hour 60 on the GFS...is it possible that some piece of energy gets sent up west of the Apps if this is jogging west. Sometimes, these westward trends turn out to be hybrid miller A and B

I'm going out of town on Wednesday so it would be my luck if Thanksgiving was white in Knoxville.

Thanks for the text data Jax. I've still not given up on this storm yet. 0z NAM is colder and wetter than most runs. Has around .80 inches of QPF in KTRI and 5 inches of snow.

post-6441-14168919919.jpgpost-6441-141689200722.jpg

That being said the NAM is the outlier and is colder and wetter than the GFS and Euro. I think that a snowy solution may happen if we get heavier rates (dynamical cooling) so maybe the NAM is onto something. But I have seen these marginal systems turn out to be rain most of the time. Elevation will play a big role in this system as it most often does in marginal situations.

My call would be up to a slushy inch around KTRI and NETN, 3-6 inches for areas in SWVA that have more elevation, and 6+ for the mountains of TN/NC above 3000 feet.

I would think that the mountains should be under a Winter Storm Warning and Winter Advisories for SWVA.

In the valleys, climo will win 99% of the time outside of extreme events. The Thanksgiving system, no matter how promising it was modeled, did not pan out for most. Just too much that has to go right for snow this early. Now, I know the foothills and elevation have done OK by Nov standards and even into SC of all places. However, remember the majority of the SE and TN Valley remain snowless as it should be. Now, here comes a moderate warm-up with a very +NAO look if yesterday's Euro is to be believed. Personally, I think those cold, snowy (especially the cold) forecasts are in some serious trouble. And I am not trying to be negative as that is really not scientific. I am very wary of group think. A neat fact, in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) if everyone agrees on a plan, it is the responsibility ot someone in the group to take on the role of devil's advocate. Hope I have to eat crow. I still think we have a good winter, just not epic. Should be cold and snowy, just not to the degree of many forecasts. Going to need some blocking in the Atlantic, not just a +PNA. It would seem a cool down to normal could be seen by mid-Dec. That would be my next time frame to watch.

The CFS2, though vastly undependable at times last winter, is pointing to a warm Dec and Feb with a slightly above Jan. Does anyone have the Euro weeklies? I bet they support a warmer than normal pattern. Warmer temps certainly do not preclude snow, might even make a big snow more likely. Again, I may be in a minority, but it would seem Dec-Feb will average slightly above normal (maybe near normal) with temps and near normal for snow. Now, it is winter and I suspect we will deal with some sever bouts of cold and have storms to track, though through mid-Dec this looks unlikely in the Upper South. The storm track does seem to have a coastal component to it. So, Nor'easters are certainly in the cards. I just don't see the cold November pattern extending into winter. Let's hope the winter remembers November at some point.

Archived